11-30-2011 05:01 PM - edited 11-30-2011 05:06 PM
Recently, my T61 started rebooting randomly. It happens
- when it's cold, warm or hot. I control temperature with TPFC.62 software
- when I am working or when the Windows is sleeping (does not happen if it is hybernating).
- when it is connected to power supply or not
- with or without battery. Tried two different batteries.
- with or without hard drive. Tried three hard drives.
- tried harddrives with Windows 7 or Windows XP (Lenovo installed).
- when fan is spinning or when it is sleeping
Sometimes T61 is stuck in un-ending reboot cycle, without even going to BIOS screen. Worst case: green lights under the screen will flash, then the harddrive clicks, then nothing. But sometimes the computer works for five hours without a single random reboot.
Fan spins OK. This is the third fan on my T61 (common problem I figured).
Intel graphics chip. I used to have NVidia Quadro mother board originally which failed shortly after warranty expried. I had to replace the motherboard (from ebay). It worked for 7 months after the replacememt.
Display cable was replaced three months ago because the screen was going black due to loose connection (the screen and LEDs under the screen were going black if you touch the cable)
This is a very bad T61 I have. Any ideas why it is rebooting?
11-30-2011 10:54 PM
sounds to me like you have some really bad luck here. This is only a guess, but you may have a completely different unrelated system board issue. Unfortunately many ebay sellers will sell any part they can, regardless of it actually working. I try to avoid buying any boards that aren't in a laptop working. I've seen too many boxed boards with problems.
I think the best souce of them is insurance claims where a laptop was damaged by baggage handlers. It's not hard to crack a screen when handling luggage, and in most cases, the rest of the laptop is perfect, but you have to be careful to separate the accidental cracked screen from the abused laptop that was thrown in a fit of rage.