Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
dwkole

T61. screen not coming on. Hard drive working?

I have a T61. Worked fine yesterday. Today when I power it up, there is nothing on the screen and then I hear 3 short beeps. The light icon for the hard drive comes on for a second, but then goes off. The icon with the Z and circle around it is lit up green. I think I can feel the hard drive spin just for a second but then nothing. I tried hooking up a external monitor, but get nothing.

Any ideas?

Hard drive going bad?

Screen?

Thanks for any help.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: T61. screen not coming on. Hard drive working?

[ Edited ]

The three beeps sounds like a typical gpu failure, a common problem if your system has nvidia graphics, but this usually presents as one long beep and two short ones.

If this is your GPU, you'll need a new system board.

I'd recommend removing your drives, battery and see if you can get the screen to post. You can also try reseating/replacing the ram. If you have two modules installed, try with just one, testing in each shot. If nothing changes and you keep getting the same beeping, then you can be pretty sure your board is bad.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Fanfold Paper
dwkole

Thanks. And yes, I get 1 long and 2 short beeps. Already tried re-seating the ram. Where should I get a new system board from? Lenovo says they want $575 to fix it. Any other place have better price? Is there ifo any where on how to change board?      Thanks

Bit Torrent
TuuS

[ Edited ]

Please send me your model, serial number and date code from the bottom label in a private message, and I can probably find you a board. Don't post this in the public forum, rules don't allow it.

Edit: Here is a link to the Lenovo training videos...

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/et.cfm?eid=1369

That will cover the part of your question about how to fix it. If you answer my other questions then I can help you further with what kind of replacement to get. There are some very important things to consider if you don't want this to happen again, but until I know what you have, I can't fully answer your questions.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
What's DOS?
kaizen

Hi

my laptop is thinkpad r61

I am experiencing the same problem but dont hear any beeps, I have tried removing battery and hardrive but still not working.

Please help