Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
philburton

T61 will not allow other systems on home LAN to browse drives

I have three systems on my WORKGROUP home LAN.  All three are running Win XP, SP 3, with latest patches.  I do not use SIMPLE file sharing.  The two desktops can browse each other's drives and files but not the files on the T61.  The T61 can browse drives and files on the two desktops. 

However, the desktops can browse the installed printers on the T61!

Part of the error message on the desktops, when I try to browse drives on the T61 is:  "Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

I have pretty good tech skills and I have been searching for hours (and hours ...:smileysad: ).  So far, the following have NOT worked:

Increased IRPStackSize to decimal 50 and set PagePoolSize to 0, per various MS KB articles.

Added protocols NWLink ... to both desktop and server.

Verified that Simple File Sharing is OFF.

Changed local security policy Limit Local Account Use of Blank Passwords to Console Login Only to OFF.  (although my account login on the T61 uses a password.)

Verified that the same workgroup name is in use on both desktop and T61.

Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in TCP/IP Advanced Properties | WINS

Final bit of information.  I was doing a client assignment on-site at the company's offices and I used my T61.  A sysadmin added a new login ID with DOMAIN access so I could access email, printers, etc.  I recently removed that client login ID and switched my T61 back from DOMAIN back to WORKGROUP.  I have emailed the sysadmin twice now, but he hasn't responded.  (He wasn't too responsive when I was working at the company.)

What else can I do?  I am totally comfortable editing the registry or doing other advanced configuration changes.

Thanks in advance.

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

Re: T61 will not allow other systems on home LAN to browse drives

Are you using Access Connections?

There is a setting in Access Connections which can influence file and printer sharing. If you look at the profile's further settings, there is an entry for network security, file and printer sharing needs to be activated.

I think this is a great feature of AC as it will override the windows settings, you can choose to allow or block in each profile; e.g. allowed at home, but blocked at the Airport or Hotel.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

WWAN
mixz1

On which machine(s) are you changing stack size? You should be addressing IRPStackSize on the machine(s) you want to connect to rather than from.

Also, while I realize that if you must travel between multiple sites with multiple network configurations you may find value in Access Connections, although Vista and Win 7 do a good job of remembering different networks, if you are primarily a single or perhaps 2 network member, Access Connections is not worth the overhead, disk space and potential for confusion. The very flexibility that's one of its so-called strengths has the potential to cross you up in grand style if you're not totally familiar with its interface.

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Serial Port
philburton

andyP wrote:

Are you using Access Connections?

There is a setting in Access Connections which can influence file and printer sharing. If you look at the profile's further settings, there is an entry for network security, file and printer sharing needs to be activated.

Andy,

I set up a HOME profile in AC, and explicitly allowed file and printer sharing.  However, nothing changed.  I can see the drives on my T61 from either desktop system, but I cannot browse them for folders and files.  Same error messages.

What else can I try?

Serial Port
philburton

mixz1 wrote:

On which machine(s) are you changing stack size? You should be addressing IRPStackSize on the machine(s) you want to connect to rather than from.

Also, while I realize that if you must travel between multiple sites with multiple network configurations you may find value in Access Connections, although Vista and Win 7 do a good job of remembering different networks, if you are primarily a single or perhaps 2 network member, Access Connections is not worth the overhead, disk space and potential for confusion. The very flexibility that's one of its so-called strengths has the potential to cross you up in grand style if you're not totally familiar with its interface.

To answer your points in order.

I changed the registry entries in both the FROM (desktop) and TO (T61) systems.  Didn't help.

I find that Access Connections is a pain where I sit.  :smileyindifferent: and I would be happy to disable it.  How can I do that?  Nothing wrong with the bog-standard Windows method for identifying and connecting to a wireless network.

PhilBurton

WWAN
mixz1

May I ask why you're not using Simple File Sharing on a home LAN? At this point in time, I would suggest getting back to Day 1 on all machines, restoring group policy settings to default and dumping the added protocols. Make sure your firewall settings, if you're using a soft firewall on each machine, are correct. Then see if you have access to the T61.

If you then have a fully functioning network, proceed on to securing shares (turning Simple FS off) and checking your firewall settings again, as the Internet Connection Firewall can automatically step in and ruin your internal network. If the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on a local area network connection with other computers, it will block File and Printer Sharing. This is probably the most common problem in Windows XP networking.

Anyhow, I think if you can get back to Day 1 (SImple FS, no ICF, no Access Connections, no Policy mods) and have a functioning net, then implementing your desired security settings one at a time should be successful. I also don't think you need to change any policy settings from their defaults in a home environment.

As to Access Connections, simply remove it via the Add/Remove Programs applet. I'd then use a safe registry cleaner like Ccleaner (www.Ccleaner.com) to tidy up. Perhaps things will wake up after you remove it, so why not try that first?

T520 4239-CTO
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Serial Port
philburton

mixz1 wrote:

May I ask why you're not using Simple File Sharing on a home LAN? At this point in time, I would suggest getting back to Day 1 on all machines, restoring group policy settings to default and dumping the added protocols. Make sure your firewall settings, if you're using a soft firewall on each machine, are correct. Then see if you have access to the T61.

If you then have a fully functioning network, proceed on to securing shares (turning Simple FS off) and checking your firewall settings again, as the Internet Connection Firewall can automatically step in and ruin your internal network. If the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on a local area network connection with other computers, it will block File and Printer Sharing. This is probably the most common problem in Windows XP networking.

Anyhow, I think if you can get back to Day 1 (SImple FS, no ICF, no Access Connections, no Policy mods) and have a functioning net, then implementing your desired security settings one at a time should be successful. I also don't think you need to change any policy settings from their defaults in a home environment.

As to Access Connections, simply remove it via the Add/Remove Programs applet. I'd then use a safe registry cleaner like Ccleaner (www.Ccleaner.com) to tidy up. Perhaps things will wake up after you remove it, so why not try that first?

Thanks for your detailed instructions. 

I haven't used Simple File Sharing because I've been using the more "traditional" form of File Sharing since the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 days.  However, I did enable SFS, and then unshared all my T61 drives (four logical drives in my T61 system), except for one.  That one drive was shared via SFS.  I also removed Access Connections.

Making these changes did NOT fix the situation.  The error message I get on my other systems still includes the part "not enough server storage is available ..."  However, I don't get any entries in the Event Log | System, certainly not the 2011 error that is often mentioned in various MS KB articles.

I have verified that the Windows Firewall is OFF, and that Norton 2009 Firewall is not an issue.  (T61 set to FULL TRUST on my desktop systems. 

I'm about ready to "break down" and pay Microsoft the $50 or $60 for a support call, which is very embarrassing.  Never have had to do that in over 20 years of owning a PC.

WWAN
mixz1

I am at a loss as to what is going on. I share your pain. Before you give in to M$, have you tried the NETSH diagnostics and stack rebuild? See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netsh.mspx?mfr=true

Also, have you tried fixed IP addresses? And last, have you tried adding each machine's fixed IP to a hosts file?

Of course none of this should be necessary. Personally, I would back up, format and reinstall rather than band-aid the situation. If you do find a solution, please post back to the forum. I'm truly sorry I haven't been able to point the way to some kind of resolution. Good luck.

T520 4239-CTO
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Serial Port
philburton

mixz1 wrote:

I am at a loss as to what is going on. I share your pain. Before you give in to M$, have you tried the NETSH diagnostics and stack rebuild? See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netsh.mspx?mfr=true

REPLY:  Yes, did not help.

Also, have you tried fixed IP addresses? And last, have you tried adding each machine's fixed IP to a hosts file?

REPLY:  No I haven't tried this solution because this laptop frequently connects to the Internet from outside my home LAN, and fixed IPs would be a pain-in-the- ...

Of course none of this should be necessary. Personally, I would back up, format and reinstall rather than band-aid the situation. If you do find a solution, please post back to the forum. I'm truly sorry I haven't been able to point the way to some kind of resolution. Good luck.

REPLY:  I think you're right.  I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's just not worth my time to try to discover that there is some deep-in-the-details misconfiguration or a corrupted DLL somewhere.

I will do the backup, format and install route, however, becuase I'm planning an upgrade to Windows 7 64 early next year.  I divide my drive into separate programs and data partitions, to make life easier.  I still do full backups before doing a reformat. 

Phil