Support in other languages: 
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 103

Re: T60 wireless radio problem

christos wrote:
This software seems to be unreliable and a hindrance for anyone wanting wireless connectivity in a laptop.

I have been using Access Connections on a variety of ThinkPads over several years, including on a T61 at present, and in my experience it is a very reliable and useful piece of software, when installed correctly.

If you feel you don't need it, then just use the WiFi support in Windows.

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
christos

Re: T61 wireless radio problem

[ Edited ]
Hi Bill,

I _would_ rather use Access Connections if it is reliable and useful (when properly installed) than WinXP WiFi support. I'm willing to work as much as reasonably possible to troubleshoot and provide clear descriptions of the issues I'm encountering. If I sounded as if I was throwing up my arms in despair and giving up troubleshooting Access Connection I'd like to say that I'm not.

These are the steps I took to reinstall Access Connections. I downloaded the file 'carbon_unit' suggested I install [http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZLNJB] and followed the directions faithfully as far I can tell [ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7mcn38ww.txt]. Let me say that Access Connection (wireless connection) was initially working properly, quite nicely as a matter of fact, where I was even able to update my system software which included the items below. The trouble started when I docked my laptop in it's docking station and created a new profile to access via my installed network adapter (Intel(r) 82566MM Gigabit network). Perhaps it's an issue of configuration or location switching which are done through Access Connections menu options. I do also remember using WinXP Wizard to create a home network and assign a domain to the Think pad. If there is any more information I can give please let me know.
NOTES

1. Before installing ThinkVantage Access Connections, it is required
to install the following software.

- Power Management Driver for Windows Vista/XP/2000/ME/98 SE
version 1.42 or higher
- ThinkPad Hotkey Features for Windows 98/98 SE/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP
version 1.24.0603 or higher
or
Hotkey Features for Windows Vista/XP/2000
version 2.01.0703 or higher
(Note: Refer to each Hotkey package for which version to use.)

2. Update wireless LAN/WAN adapter software for each adapter, as
follows.
   - Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG, or
- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
==> Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg, bg) (Windows XP/2000)
version 11.1.1.11 or higher.

Manual Install

1. Start Windows XP or Windows 2000 and log on with administrative
privileges.
2. Double-click the package you downloaded to extract the Access
Connections files to the hard drive.
3. Click Start then click Run.
4. Type C:\DRIVERS\W2K\ACCON\SETUP.EXE and click OK to install the
Access Connections application.
Note: If you extracted the files to a different location, specify
that location instead.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the
installation.

Message Edited by christos on 12-29-2007 11:59 AM
Fanfold Paper
christos

Re: T60 wireless radio problem

[ Edited ]
Access Connections has this to say for the Location profile (wireless)  I've configured

Connection status:        Disconnected
Cause:        Association failed - access point out of range or unavailable.
Error code:        009
Recommended action:
The selected wireless network is out of range or unavailable.  Move to a location that is closer to the access point and try again.

If the problem persists, contact your network administrator and provide the troubleshooting information below.

Adapter Details
Adapter name        Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Adapter type        Wireless LAN
Adapter speed        54.0 Mbps
Driver/Firmware version        / N/A
Adapter status        Enabled
Connection Status        Disconnected
Disable unused cards?        No

System Information
System model        
BIOS version        
TVT GINA version        1.58.0.0
Operating system version        Windows XP,  Service pack 2
Access connections version        4.42

Chris

Message Edited by christos on 12-29-2007 11:58 AM
Fanfold Paper
christos

I followed the instructions listed here [Known Issues and Solutions]

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62875

and Access Connections is working great now.

Intel PRO 2200bg, 2915abg, 3945bg, 3945abg, 4965ag, and 4965agn Mini PCI adapter wireless software for Windows XP, 2000 - ThinkPad
Document id:  MIGR-62875 Last modified:  2007-12-31
Paper Tape
adarmi

I actually like Access Connections very much, but I have a different problem. I have a new T61 and have done the update of all the software using "System Update". I have Access Connection installed. The problem is that it does not see the wireless connection. I am connected to the internet using the wireless network, but access connections does not see it. I tried disabling the checkbox in the windows setting not to let it manage the wireless connections and it did not help.

Anyone knows why Access Connections may think I do not have wireless installed or enabled?

Thanks,

michel
Fanfold Paper
christos

[ Edited ]

Hi adarmi,

Without having any troubleshooting details (system info, hardware, error mesage, descriptions etc.) you could try uninstalling Access Connections through "Add or Remove Programs" in the control panel. You will also have to uninstall Power Manager, Hotkey driver, your Wireless driver. as well as Access Connections

For my system, as an example, these are the items that would need to be uninstalled/reinstalled.

Reinstall in this order:

Power Manager for Windows 2000, XP - ThinkPad
Document id:  MIGR-61583
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-61583

Hotkey driver for Windows Vista, XP, 2000 - Notebooks
Document id:  MIGR-68000
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000
[NOTE: The HOTKEY install may uninstall for you]

Intel PRO 2200bg, 2915abg, 3945bg, 3945abg, 4965ag, and 4965agn Mini PCI adapter wireless software for Windows XP, 2000 - ThinkPad
Document id:  MIGR-62875
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62875

ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP, 2000 - Notebooks
Document id:  MIGR-4ZLNJB
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4ZLNJB

Then finally reboot your system.

Message Edited by christos on 01-03-2008 08:19 PM
Paper Tape
adarmi

Christos,

I really appreciate your answer. It was difficult to know what are the different pieces involved.

My machine is a T61, running Windows XP SP2. It has the 4965ag mini-pci, 14 inch widescreen.  The machine was re-imaged by our corporate IT, so I have had to reinstall all the ThinkVantage software in it.

I think that the probleem is deeper than Access Connections because the Wireless Radio hotkey shows only the Bluetooth radio and not the WiFi. I will uninstall these pieces and reinstall them one by one.

Thanks a lot,

Michel
Paper Tape
adarmi

Well, it was not easy, but it works now.  It was really a question of reinstalling the wireless driver. It seems that somehow I got to have either two versions installed at once or something partial. By the way, I uninstalled several times and each time the wirless network disapeared only to appear after a reboot. After trying a few times I decided it "may" be OK and reinstalled the latest version of the wireless driver. After that things started working.

Michel
Fanfold Paper
botanna

I have this problem with my T60. Have tried the steps described by christos, uninstalled Power Manager, Hotkey-features, Wireless driver and Access Connections. Rebootet an installed new ones in the order described. All new versions (Access Connections 4.52).

But still I can't get Access Connections to work when trying to connect to a wireless network. When I try connection with windows it works, but not Access Connections.

I have also tried the same steps with a T61 and X61, on those models it works.

Why can't System Update give me the right drivers and software to download and get this functioning?
Is there something I have missed?
Fanfold Paper
christos

Hi botanna,

There is one other issue that may be mucking things up. Perhaps this applies to you:

Known Issues and Solutions
  1. ThinkVantage Access Connections will not work if Windows XP Software Network Bridge connection is created. To recover the Access Connections function:
    1. Start Windows XP and logon with administrative privileges.
    2. Click Start, select Settings, click Control Panel, then click Network Connections.
    3. Confirm that the following Device Name belongs to "Network Bridge".
      • Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG
      • Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
      • Intel PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection
      • Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
      • Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
      • Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
    4. Right click its "Name" (Wireless Network Connection)
    5. Click Remove from Bridge.
    6. Confirm that it belongs to "LAN or High-Speed Internet."
    7. Right click its "Name" again and click Properties.
    8. The Wireless Network connection Properties tab will open and under the General tab, Check at "WLAN Transport".
    9. Restart the system.

2. Installing and deleting server/client certificate may not take effect immediately. To recover, restart the system.