Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
subterFUSE

Re: T61 with Advanced Dock and PCI-e graphics card?

In response to your question about Lenovo claiming 4 monitors, my understanding it that they are saying to use both the internal graphics and PCIe graphics simultaneously.  2 monitors on each.  This is why you must use Windows XP.  And this was probably only tested on the T60.  Not the T61.

As for why the laptop fails to boot?  I don't understand it myself.  I doubt we will ever know.  It does not seem like Lenovo is going to troubleshoot this issue for us.
subterFUSE

Heard back from Matrox.

They claim they have independently tested and confirmed that their PCIe graphics cards work with the T61 laptop and Advanced Dock.  There were two caveats -

1.  Their T61 was loaded with Windows XP Pro, not Vista.
2.  Their T61 did not have the nVidia graphics like mine does.

Regardless, they said they have a 30 day return policy so I should not worry about being stuck with a card that does not function.  They sent me detailed instructions on the installation.

The biggest downside is the price of the card.  $800

I will probably proceed with this route in the coming weeks.  Of course, I will post my results here.
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

I would say that's great news, as you say the price is a downside, or is it worth it for achieving the solution you need? That they give you 30 days to return the card, AND have sent instructions, I would say a big Yer 'OK to Matrox.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

I've always been a fan of Matrox. My work as a web-designer requires me to have the best and clearest possible 'desktop' and so far the Matrox cards fits that bill completely. No need for hair-dryers with256MB or larger, because I don't play games on my PC (or laptop). Before my current 32MB G550 DualHead, I had a couple of 16MB G200 Millenniums. In my opinion Matrox make the best, most stable cards. All of them are still going strong in various other PCs in my home.
My main PC only has an AGPx8 bus so I have no need for anything 'stronger'.
Retired Employee
Tim_Lenovo

Wow, great detective work everyone.

A side note: while it doesn't meet the criteria of supporting four displays, you might consider something like this. The Matrox TripleHead2Go will drive three external displays, and a notebook display in your application. While not cheap, it's a lot less than $800 :smileywink:

Here is a review of the dual monitor analog version - link.
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Thanks for that find, Tim.
Matrox TH2G
$299.- for analog, $329.- for digital is indeed a lot cheaper than $799.- for a docking station PCI-e card.
Paper Tape
refthimos

OK I can confirm that the T61 can drive 3 external DVI monitors using the Advanced Dock.

I am typing using this configuration right now.

I have the Intel integrated graphics on my T61 (I purposely chose this "downgrade" for better battery life when on the go) and Windows XP Pro.

I am pretty sure that my solution will work only with XP, because XP allows the use of multiple graphics cards from different manufacturers (in my previous laptop multi-monitor configuration, I used a Dell Latitude D810 and a Digital Tigers Sidecar HD; the Dell had the ATI Radeon mobility graphics card and the SideCar used a Matrox card).

With my T61, I am using the Matrox Millenium P650 PCIe card.  I paid a total of $196.47 online including shipping (no tax); your results may vary.

Setup was very simple.

and found myself with 2 external DVI monitors working.  While that is nice, it is not a significant step up from what you can get with the empty Advanced Dock (ie no graphics card inside)., which allows you to use 2 external monitors, albeit only one DVI, with the other VGA.

So hoping that I could still get 3 external monitors without springing for the QID LP PCIe card, I left the T61 docked, and shut down.  I then powered up the T61 (using the Advanced Dock power button) and tapped F1 on startup in order to access the BIOS.  I switched the Default Primary Video back to its original setting, from External PCIe to Internal.  When the T61 booted, both cards were recognized, and by right clicking the desktop and selecting the Properties, then Settings tabs, I enabled the 3rd monitor (by right lclicking the grayed out 3rd monitor and selecting Attached).

If you have previously set up multiple monitors, whether for a desktop or otherwise, you will find this all to be a piece of cake.  Everything went off without a hitch or hickup.

Thanks to everyone for your help. 
Fanfold Paper
lenovo_anon

--XFX 8400GS PCIe Card--

The good news: It fits and it's recognized, drivers loaded etc.

The bad news: Device manager not happy: "Failed to load" and/or "Service failed to start".

The config: T61P, onboard nVidia Quad FX 570M, XP Pro

The comments/questions:

1) Is there any way to get further diag info from Windows? I cheked the event logs in Admin Tools, but nothing there.

I went with a GeForce card because I thought it best to "keep it in the family" with the on-board nVidia.

2) Was this a bad assumption?

I'm on the latest BIOS and I've tried every combination of primary display: PCIe and built-in.

* When set to PCIe, the device manager shows only the unhappy 8400GS and the resolution on my external display is stuck on low. Attempted changes are rejected.

* When set to internal, the device manager shows a happy internal FX570 and the unhappy 8400GS. Same stuck on low resolution on external display.

3) Any ideas before I try the matrox card?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

p.s. I've read about 10 forum threads here and elsewhere. Forgive me if I've missed something pertinant that's been already posted.
Punch Card
subterFUSE

Matrox  QID LP PCIe card arrived today.

Installed and attempted to boot.  Same as with other cards, the laptop will not boot to Windows with the card installed in the dock.  I am back to square one.
RealBlackStuff

That's bad news for you. They gave you the 'caveats' though.
Return it and ask for the unit that Tim_Lenovo came up with a few posts ago.
Or revert back to XP/install a dualboot for XP,  and try the card again.