Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JLBeamish

T61 with Bluetooth won't hibernate

New T61 (a month old). I bought a bluetooth mouse a couple of weekends ago (Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000) and it's working fine now (a few rough moments initially as I got used to the "find device" process).

Normally I do a shutdown to turn the computer off. Last night I tried to "hibernate" (Start > Turnoff > shift+Standby -- when you hit the shift key, the word "Standby" becomes "Hibernate").

It started the process then displayed an error message. "System Standby Failed" is in the title bar of the popup. "The device driver for the 'ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." At that time, I had no applications running.

Searching for a driver takes me to this page:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-61425

I have downloaded the driver and installed it. I then rebooted. I tried both "Standby" and "Hibernate" and both times I got the error message above.

I have a T61, running XP SP2.
Serial Port
JLBeamish

Re: T61 with Bluetooth won't hibernate

Bump.
JaneL

Don't have a T61 or a Bluetooth mouse, or I'd try to help.  Anyone else out there with that combination?

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Serial Port
JLBeamish

Final resolution (and it works now!)

For a variety of reasons (and the hibernate issue was one of them), I did a factory refresh. You can read about that here (paying particular attention to the second para of message 5).

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=5035

The balance of the message (possibly worthwhile skimming) shows the Lenovo-sourced updates that I installed after the successful refresh.

Then, in message 6, I have described exactly what I did so that you can see the steps I followed to get the software installed while, at the same time, keeping the hibernate function working.

All in all, it's taken a while but my machine now seems to be ticking over nicely. All that remains is to reinstall all sorts of programs that I had on my old machine and I'll be able to put the old machine out to pasture (in other words: think about loading Linux on it!).
Serial Port
JLBeamish

And now it won't hibernate again!

But I am certain I have now found the answer:  Quicken 2000.

Over the past week, I have done several refreshes and tried a variety of things and, in every case, hibernating worked for a while.  And then stopped.  But this last time, I realized that it was only after doing some installs of third-party software.  And one of them, Quicken 2000, was the only non-Microsoft software to "call home".  As part of calling home, Q2K has a routine that lets you choose your own online account or use a dial up or use Intuit's dialup.  And, in setting that up, it seems to set a hook into COM5 and that seems to cause grief.

So, last night, I did a final factory refresh.  I installed only one piece of software:  Q2K and I tried to hibernate.  Bingo!  Got the error message.

This put me into a (temporarily) difficult situation since I've got loads of financial records that I wanted to bring over to my T61.  I didn't want to use MS Money (lots of reasons, none worth going into here).  I had looked around before and come across a package called MoneyDance.  I exported my Quicken data, imported it into MoneyDance, tried it on my T61 and I can still hibernate!

S'long, Quicken.  Hello MoneyDance.  Happy days, T61!

If you're still following my saga, thanks for sticking with this to the end!

JaneL

Thanks for coming back with more info!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
jeremybu

I have the same problem. My T61 with Vista Home Premium used to enter Hiberate nicely, until I installed a Bluetooth mouse. Since then all that happens when I press the Fn F12 button is the computer (sometimes but not always) goes into Sleep mode with the crescent moon light flashing.
It's not a too-big deal for me, but I'll work at fixing it. If anyone has the magic bullet I'd like to know!
What's DOS?
hokie

I had the same issue with the Bluetooth driver when trying to suspend my T61p. 

I solved the issue by deleting the Bluetooth driver in the Device Manager (under Bluetooth Devices > Thinkpad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate).

The device re-installed automatically, and I have not had a problem since.

Paper Tape
BaHsTinIT

I just wanted to confirm to anyone having this problem that Hokie's solution worked for me as well.

I just wanted to provide a clarification for anyone not familiar the device manager steps:

Right click on Thinkpad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate and select properties.

Click on Driver Tab

Click on Uninstall

After this has completed right click on the computer name at the top of the tree and select "Scan for Hardware Changes".

The device will then reinstall.

Serial Port
Mainframer

I wanted to confirm that this problem was solved on my T60p the same way: delete the Bluetooth device driver, then scan for hardware changes.