Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

mines wrote:

I understand that this is not a lenovo issue; but as a customer I´m buying a full package and lenovo should be liable for all the problems I may have.

i guess this is why the free repair was offered by many computer companies whom used this particular GPU. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
John_B0y

This is exactly my point, that Lenovo should fix it.  nVidia announced publicly that the chips were defective and even pays the manufacturers to fix the defective chips. So, why won't Lenovo cover this?

Lenovo had all the info about affected parts and models, but never sent any communication to affected T61P owners to ask them to check if they have this problem. You register your laptop for exactly these situations.

It's very disappointing.

------------------------------------------------------
Systems I use: T42P, T61P, Y510, A600
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

John_B0y wrote:

This is exactly my point, that Lenovo should fix it.  nVidia announced publicly that the chips were defective and even pays the manufacturers to fix the defective chips. So, why won't Lenovo cover this?

Lenovo had all the info about affected parts and models, but never sent any communication to affected T61P owners to ask them to check if they have this problem. You register your laptop for exactly these situations.

It's very disappointing.

i think the payment covers on the GPU, not the entire motherboard. I don't know the exact reason why Lenovo did not release an official notice on extended free repair for the affected models like Apple or Dell. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mines

Does anyone know if the T61p comes with a thermal pad on the GPU from factory?

I have found that pressing down the GPU heatsink lowers the temp by  around 15ºC. Wondering if the heatsink and the GPU die are not contacting properly.

I actually have rechecked the screws attaching the heatsink to the planar and they seem OK.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

This thread is now well off the original topic and more than 2 years old, and so I'm locking it because it is going to go on and on, and people just can't reasonably read through 90+ pages and Lenovo did resolve the original problem in this thread.   Continuing to add on discussion not related to the original issue is misleading to future readers.

The original discussion related to crashes, driver hangs, BSOD when playing games that featured 3D rendering, or high end graphic packages that did the same with 2 dimms installed.    This was caused by a hardware tolerance issue on some boards, when 2 dimms were installed.

The fix, was a system board replacement under warranty (if these symptoms were confimed - see links to tip in the accepted solution post on this thread).   Replacements were not made for this issue outside of warranty.

Systems built after April 2008 would not be affected.

One work around was to run with a single DIMM.

Over heating and NVIDIA chip defects were not related to the issue this thread was about.   If you have one of these issues - please post to the appropriate threads related to this subject.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество