Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
g_e_young
Accepted Solution

T61P XP/SP3 - Power Manager Problems, Can't save schemes, limited schemes available

Hi All - When I got this -rockin'- laptop originally I could set my own power schemes without problem.  Now it won't save my new powerschemes.  I try to create one, finish the last step, and then the power scheme isn't in the dropdown.  I read somewhere on the Web that this may be related to SP3. 

Also, the only Power Schemes I have access to are Video Playback and Maximum Performance.  I have tried uninstalling Power Manager and the associated DLL and then reinstalling, but that didn't help.  Also, I see no reference to this problem in troubleshooting.  Thanks in advance.  This is getting really annoying as I like to use as little power as possible since I use teh computer on battery power quite often.

Thanks!  g- 

Serial Port
g_e_young

Re: T61P XP/SP3 - Power Manager Problems, Can't save schemes, limited schemes available

Sorry to bump this up to the top of the list, but surely I'm not the only person having this problem, I hope ;-o.  I tried installing the previous version of Power Manager but that didn't help.

Any ideas would be appreciated!  

Thanks, g- 

WWAN
mixz1

Re: T61P XP/SP3 - Power Manager Problems, Can't save schemes, limited schemes available

First, don't mark an item solved if it's not solved. Second, learn to search to see if others have had this problem. instead of repeating a post that's been beaten to death. Hint: Lots of us have had the problem :smileyhappy: .

If you had searched you would have found this link: http://chris.brandlehner.at/Brandlehner/cab_blog.nsf/d6plinks/CBRR-6YWBNV where you will see a possible solution. If it works, you can mark the entry "solved". Good luck.

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Serial Port
g_e_young

Please don't assume...I didn't mark this as solved as it is not solved.  I have no idea how that got marked but I was as surprised as you when I saw the big green badge.  And I did do a search, in fact an extensive one, but I did not see the answer except the one I referred to in my 2nd note that didn't work.  The problem referred to in the link you included does not appear to be my exact problem (I do have some power schemes) but I shall give it a whirl anyway.  Thanks,  g-
Serial Port
g_e_young

Bravo - that did it!!! Thanks!

Here is the fix to save future searches some time:

Method 1: Use the Powercfg.exe utility to restore the default power scheme

loadTOCNode(2, 'resolution');You can use the Powercfg.exe utility to copy the power scheme from the Default Userprofile to the user who is currently logged on. You can do this because power schemes are uniquely associated with individual user accounts. To copy the power scheme from the default user by using the Powercfg.exe utility, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. 2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:   powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies

WWAN
mixz1

You're welcome. Now, mark it solved.
T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
Paper Tape
dps1943

T60, XP/SP3   I could only get two schemes and couldn't select either.  I used powercfg.exe and got four schemes that I could access.  I still can't access the video playback scheme.  I saved a new scheme "Mine" and it displays but I can't select it either.  I'm stuck with the built-ins.  What now?  Thanks.