Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
shearichard

T61P won't boot after hibernation - explain the "Press Start" button thing to me ?

I have a Thinkpad T61P and after having been in hibernation it's unable to boot (when you press the on button Power, Battery and "Z in a circle" lights flicker - then one long beep followed by two short beeps).

I'd like to try what's described here  http://bit.ly/I1AYJS ("pressing the power button 10 times and holding the 10th press for 30 seconds") which I've also seen described in forum.thinkpads.com (scroll down to first message from FTC) but what I don't understand is when it says "Remove battery. press 10 times the power on button" do they mean whilst the machine is connected to the mains power ?

I mean it seems a bit pointless trying to do it with no power at all connected but as the second post goes onto refer to the CMOS battery I wondered if the machine was truly meant to be without any power at all ?

Would appreciate any help.

In case it's significant the model number is 6459-A12 .

thanks

Richard.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: T61P won't boot after hibernation - explain the "Press Start" button thing to me

One  long  and  two  short  beeps,  and  a  blank
or  unreadable  LCD.
1.      System  board.
2.      LCD  assembly.
3.      DIMM

Did you check the memory with MEMTEST86?

when it says "Remove battery. press 10 times the power on button" do they mean whilst the machine is connected to the mains power ?

They mean: without battery and power supply disconnected to unload the capacitors on the system board.

One additional Question:

Do you have any "unnormal events" with your display graphics?

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Betreff: T61P won't boot after hibernation - explain the "Press Start" button thing to me

As mentioned, the reason for cycling the power button is to drain the board of all power so it can fully reset any problems and boot fresh, but these symptoms on this model is usually caused by nVidia graphics failure. There is  a very long topic on this already, as well as counless smaller ones, so suffice it to say you're not alone, and if this is the problem, a new system board is the only solution.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
shearichard

Mornsgrans - Thanks for your reply. I didn't try MEMTEST86 but I will do so (I cannot remember if BIOS is set to boot from CD which I assume is necessary for MEMTEST86 to work but I will try anyway).

No I had no abnormal events with the graphics display.

Thanks also for the clarification of the "press 10 times" thing - I will also try that but judging by what you and others have said it might be a much more expensive problem than that :smileysad:

("Wondering what a new system board costs ..." :smileywink:)

Blue Screen Again
shearichard

TuuS - Thanks for your post, I appreciate it. I will hunt up the posts on the nVidia failures - very annoying as until now I've been *very* happy with my machine.

thanks again.

R.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

shearichard wrote:

("Wondering what a new system board costs ..." :smileywink:)

There are no "new" system boards, and haven't been since 2009. These units were made for two years, the graphic problem was addressed with an updated chip that was released in the last full month of production, August 2008. The only reliable fix is finding a board from one of them, but they are extremely rare.

You can buy refurbished boards for about $600 from Lenovo.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)