Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

Re: T61p & the Nvidia Problem......

@SarahZ that is pretty dodgy of the seller to be passing on these defective units to other people as working machines.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
SarahZ

Yeah.  This guy listed another one just the same as the one I got,, except he changed the description, saying the screen goes out after turning it on....and he removed the part that says it has an Nvidia GPU.....  lol and he has a starting bid at $250, and a buy it now for $475 plus shipping ...... lol .....at least he made the description more accurate. 

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 274

grfxguy,

Please send me a PM with your serial number for your unit.   We may be able to help.

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 324
Solutions: 223

there ya go, mark's  on the ball, as always.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Noryb

i've been using one more than 2 1/2 years already pushing 3 years.... (Type  6459-A24) NO PROBLEMS blardy good machine fire/bullet/everything proof..

Runs like a dream with XP, recently upgraded to Win7 and its seamless.. simple automated installation of drivers with the System Update and it just rocks my world..

Cheers

Byron

Paper Tape
drjoestan

T61 nVidia quadro 140M problem/fail

To the Lenovo community:

I have a T61 with the nVidia quadro 140M graphics card.  Yesterday, I was surfing the internet when the screen suddenly froze and there was a tint of yellow.  I was not using the laptop's LCD display; I was using an external monitor.  Thinking that the laptop had froze, I powered the computer off and turned it back on.  

I noticed the splash screen was garbled and fuzzy.  After watching Vista load (the green bar that scrolls from left to right), there was no further image.  I powered off my laptop.  Thinking the VGA-out port was broken, I disconnected my laptop from my external monitor to see it that was the case.  However, when I turned my laptop back on, I could not even see the Thinkpad splash screen.  All I saw was a three inch bar of blue on the far left, a three inch bar of red in the middle, and lots of vertical lines flickering.  I suspected the graphics card was broken.

I called the Lenovo support center in Atlanta where the customer rep told me it was not the graphics card but instead that the LCD cable and display on the laptop was broken and needed to be repaired.  Since I was out of warranty, it would cost $750.  I told him that with that kind of money I could buy a new laptop...

I had a feeling that it was the graphics card and not the LCD cable and display.  I continued turning it on and off to see what would happen.  The native LCD display could not display anything, but via the VGA-out to my external monitor, I could see things.  The "best" result I could get was to get into the ThinkVantage Rescue and Discovery program (via the blue button during startup).  But even in this state the whole screen was riddled with blue patches.  Additionally, during startup, after the Thinkpad splash screen I would see the whole screen covered with strange symbols.  For instance, smiley faces, the male sign (circle and arrow), and "wv" all over the screen.

I now suspected the nVidia quadro 140M, with the overheating issue, was at fault.  Furthermore, I had read online (using another computer), board messages on this website about similar problems.

I turned the computer off and let it cool down overnight.  Sure enough, this morning, when I powered it back on, the display was normal.  This meant that it was not the LCD cable/display at fault. The native LCD display was normal, and the display on the external monitor was normal.  However, after 15 minutes, the screen freezes, the colors change, and then the display goes black and the computer restarts.

I called the Lenovo support center where the rep who took my call agreed that it was a graphics card problem.  However to fix it would be $570... I asked him if there was any other recourse because the graphics card did not break because of overuse, but failed from being poorly manufactured by nVidia. This is a problem that the company publicly acknowledged. I was informed that there was no other method to remedy the situation.

I am severely disappointed in the recent turn of events.  Aside from the graphics card, the T61 I own is perfectly fine and I do not want to abandon it.  Furthermore, I was disappointed that I was first told that it was a LCD cable/display problem when it clearly was not.  Have other members with this problem found a satisfying solution from Lenovo?  Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?

Fortunately, my data is still fine, but I had chosen a Thinkpad for my most recent laptop because I had read that it was superior to other laptop brands (and thus, I did not elect to renew my warranty).  While in hindsight I would most certainly have extended my warranty, this recent experience has soured the reputation of Lenovo in my eyes.  

ajkula66
Kudos: 695
Solutions: 732

Re: T61 nVidia quadro 140M problem/fail

Welcome to the forum!

My assumption is that you are correct, and that it's indeed the GPU that failed. Garbled screen is a dead giveaway...

No one has, at least to my knowledge, come up with any solution other than the planar replacement.

I'm sad to say that I don't have an "out-of-the-box" fix for your issues. Should you decide to go for a planar swap, feel free to PM me for recommendation on trustworthy sources for such a repair.

Stories like yours, unfortunate as they are, are exactly the reason why I always advise people to get at least three years warranty when they purchase a new system...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
drjoestan

Dear George,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I think I will get a new laptop instead of replacing the motherboard/planar card.  But is there any way to salvage the other usable parts in a desktop configuration?  For example, if I make a desktop, can I take out the CPUs from the laptop and use it in a compatiable desktop motherboard and thus save on buying the CPUs?

Desktop memory and laptop memory seems to come in different sizes so perhaps this idea may not apply.

Thanks again!

-Joe

ajkula66
Kudos: 695
Solutions: 732

Laptop CPUs are different from desktop ones....

However, with prices of T6x generation laptops going down, parts have become cheaper as well. If you're not a gamer, I'd suggest throwing in a board with Intel integrated graphics and calling it a day. That, of course, works if you like the rest of the laptop...

My $0.02 only...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
grfxguy

George,

I know this is an old thread, but do you know what Lenovo part # would be a proper substitution with the Intel graphics chip? My system board is part # 41W1489.

Thanks.

Nick