Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
agonggo

Re: T61 nVidia quadro 140M problem/fail

You might want to PM Mike Hopkins about this.  I was able to get mine fixed for free last week despite my T61 being out of warranty.

Fanfold Paper
mattweisz

My T61 with Nvidia 140M died last night.  The screen just froze, so I restarted it and it never booted up.  There is a little light from the screen, but no image.  This morning I hooked it up to an external display, and I was able to boot in safe mode.  Thought a reinstall of Vista would fix it, but it hasn't.  Right now i'm able to use it with an external monitor, but there are a bunch of short vertical lines in the screen.  I noticed that when I reinstalled vista, it only recognized the "Standard VGA Graphics Driver"...and the Nvidia graphics card is nowhere to be found.

I called lenovo about this, and they said there was an extended warranty program for this type of thing, but to qualify, the LCD screen on the laptop had to show a garbled image.  Mine shows nothing, so they said it'd cost me $575 to get it fixed(my 3 year warranty ended 3 months ago).  At that price I'll just buy a new laptop.

Is there anyone I can talk to about this?  I'm almost positive it's the same widespread issue of all the bad 86 series Nvidia graphics cards.

How do I get ahold of Mike Hopkins?

Thanks!

Matt

Cedar Rapids, IA

Fanfold Paper
mattweisz

Quick Update:  Called Lenovo 3 more times and finally found someone who was better informed about this.  He had me check the BIOS, and it was showing lines on there, so he assigned me a case # and a box is on the way.  Shouldn't cost me anything, and it will supposedly be fixed with a board that has a better design...

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,337
Solutions: 288

Mattweisz,

Repairs should be made with the lattest boards we have available.   Glad you got through - sorry it was a hassle.

All,

I've combined a couple orphan threads on this subject - we have two larger discussions related to the two common symptoms - 1 long and 2 short beeps, and garbled video, even in BIOS.

Please join one of those discussions so we can provide updates and advice there.   Please also see the updates I made to the marked solutions today.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество