Support in other languages: 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,324

Re: T61p & the Nvidia Problem......

It is the bump material that is the culprit and not really the underfill that is the root of the problem.

The rate of thermal creep increases as the temperature rises, so the higher the temperature of the GPU the more likely it would suffer the thermal creep failure. While, electromigration for many solder material can be nearly temperature independent between 0 to 100 degrees celsius.

So what this means, is that even if you keep the GPU extremely cool, but still run lot of graphic intensive processes, then the GPU would still fail. But this rate of failure will occur faster at higher temperature as the result of thermal creep failure (this is why overclocking without proper cooling can kill a GPU or CPU faster).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,308
Solutions: 283

[ Edited ]

Sarah,

In reality the failure rate of these is very low.  There are more than a million in the field and there are relatively few that have experienced these symptoms.  I don't view these symptoms as inevitable.

I have a T61p at home that my wife uses and we've not had any problem with it.   I think you should approach this like any purchase of something second hand and (out of warranty?)...   consider that you are buying it at a discount and used, and not from the manufacturer. If you are concerned with the cost to repair / replace any of the components outside of warranty, perhaps you might look into a post warranty maintenance agreement?  

The intel based video equipped models won't have the risk of this particular symptom, but there is no guarantee that either will run indefinitely..  Of course, that is true of all manufacturer's systems, and pretty much any electronic device.  

One of the keys to longevity is to keep the fan and heatsink cleaned out.    You can use a can of compressed air to clean out the fan and heatsink periodically.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
grfxguy

[ Edited ]

Another T61 (7662-CTO) bites the Nvidia 140M dust!

I have a T61 I bought in Oct. 2007. The video just blew up on it yesterday with absolutely no warning. It had been running perfectly fine, then screen started flickering, went to a BSOD on the nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys, and that was the end of it. No video on restart to either laptop screen or external monitor.

When I bought this, it was a choice between Lenovo and Dell. I ended up paying a bit more for the Lenovo based on reputation and reliability. My mistake. Six year-old Dell Inspiron still running fine with no problems.

I'm an IT professional by trade (own business for the last six years), and really disappointed in Lenovo. This was my primary business computer as I work a lot on-site at clients' offices. Hadn't budgeted or planned on buying a new laptop this year as I had just upgraded memory and hard drive last yeart to extend the T61's life. Joke's on me.

Just orderd a Dell Vostro as a replacement. What I paid for the T61 is way too much for only three years of use.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,324

If you had the Dell laptop with the exact same class of Nvidia GPU, it would probably suffer the same fate. Lenovo is not the only company that has the Nvidia problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
grfxguy

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I know. I've serviced a few HPs with the same issues as well.

Mark, I read in one of your posts you suggested replacing the T61 (with Quadro 140M) system board with one that had Intel graphics. My system board is part # 41W1489 (14.1" wide screen with 1440 X 900 resolution). What part # could I use to substitue as the rest of the laptop is in perfect working condition?

Thanks.

Nick

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67911.html

scroll down to 21 and there's a list of boards that will work.  part numbers are on the right.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
topmahof

http://cgi.ebay.com/LENOVO-IBM-T61-THINKPAD-2-2GHz-MOTHERBOARD-42W7866-NICE-/290518136226?pt=LH_Defa...

just as an example. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Paper Tape
grfxguy

Thanks. I had seen that list, but the only ones listed for the 7662-CTO are the ones with the NVS 140. There are two listed with the Intel GMA X3100 graphic, 41W1487 and 42W7866. How do I know what the differences are and which of those two boards would be the best replacement?

topmahof

[ Edited ]

the difference i believe is the processor that they take.  the 41w1487 will take up to a t7700.

the 42w7866 will take up to a t9300

availability and price might be a concern.  you might be able to find a 41w1487 bare bones reasonable where your processor off your old board will drop right on.

what i don't know is whether your processor will work on the 42w7866.  although that board would seem to be the most upgradeable board.  i would think that this board will be the more expensive board.  

judging from what i see on ebay, the 41w1487 is between 100 and 200 bucks, usually.

and the 42w7866 is between 200 and 300 bucks.

some come with processors and most don't.  but, we're talking about ebay, you know how that goes. that should give a basis for price and availability though.

Fanfold Paper
SarahZ

Well, I got it a few days ago.... I turned it on, and in about 20 minutes the screen went out! ..Same symptoms as everyone else reports... bright lines all over, then it went out.... So the thing's Nvidia card had already failed before I even got it.... But at least he refunded me the money.... So I bought another one on ebay that has a INTEL gpu.... I will be sure to stay away from nvidia from now on......