Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,250
Solutions: 1,344

Re: T61p & the Nvidia Problem......

The Nvidia GPU debacle is only limited to a certain line of GPU, and they are no longer producing them. There are lots of information on this, and you can read up on it, if you are really interested in the background story.

Just google G84/86 GPU failure.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent

The problem is actually an intrinsic problem of the gpu chip, where heat soaks somehow causes the problem with the GPU electrical wiring. It means the chip doesn't handle as well as the other the sudden change of heat. Basically 7XXX, 8XXX, 9XXX and their workstation variants were all effected. Lenovo fixed a part of the problem by updating the BIOS. They modify the way the chip was cooled down.

You just have to consider than failure percentages were just a little higher than normal but many people and apparently  the failure rate of T61p's has actually been fairly low in comparison to other 8600m-equipped laptops.

To conclude if you want to use you T61p for gaming and a lot of 3D applications, or everything who will use intensively your GPU, your laptop maybe will die more quickly. If you want to use it for browsing the web, watch videos and "a normal home or office usage" it should be ok.

After all that you only can decide what you want to do.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

the infamous Nvidia GPU failure has nothing to do with heat soak, it is more to do with electromigration of the lead free bump material used in the GPU packaging. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Bit Torrent

Yep I agree but they also use as underfill a material who have a low Tg and goes softer when the temperature rise.

But the problem is still the same :smileyhappy:

good article to read in three parts : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

It is the bump material that is the culprit and not really the underfill that is the root of the problem.

The rate of thermal creep increases as the temperature rises, so the higher the temperature of the GPU the more likely it would suffer the thermal creep failure. While, electromigration for many solder material can be nearly temperature independent between 0 to 100 degrees celsius.

So what this means, is that even if you keep the GPU extremely cool, but still run lot of graphic intensive processes, then the GPU would still fail. But this rate of failure will occur faster at higher temperature as the result of thermal creep failure (this is why overclocking without proper cooling can kill a GPU or CPU faster).
Regards,

Jin Li

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Sarah,

In reality the failure rate of these is very low.  There are more than a million in the field and there are relatively few that have experienced these symptoms.  I don't view these symptoms as inevitable.

I have a T61p at home that my wife uses and we've not had any problem with it.   I think you should approach this like any purchase of something second hand and (out of warranty?)...   consider that you are buying it at a discount and used, and not from the manufacturer. If you are concerned with the cost to repair / replace any of the components outside of warranty, perhaps you might look into a post warranty maintenance agreement?  

The intel based video equipped models won't have the risk of this particular symptom, but there is no guarantee that either will run indefinitely..  Of course, that is true of all manufacturer's systems, and pretty much any electronic device.  

One of the keys to longevity is to keep the fan and heatsink cleaned out.    You can use a can of compressed air to clean out the fan and heatsink periodically.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape

[ Edited ]

Another T61 (7662-CTO) bites the Nvidia 140M dust!

I have a T61 I bought in Oct. 2007. The video just blew up on it yesterday with absolutely no warning. It had been running perfectly fine, then screen started flickering, went to a BSOD on the nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys, and that was the end of it. No video on restart to either laptop screen or external monitor.

When I bought this, it was a choice between Lenovo and Dell. I ended up paying a bit more for the Lenovo based on reputation and reliability. My mistake. Six year-old Dell Inspiron still running fine with no problems.

I'm an IT professional by trade (own business for the last six years), and really disappointed in Lenovo. This was my primary business computer as I work a lot on-site at clients' offices. Hadn't budgeted or planned on buying a new laptop this year as I had just upgraded memory and hard drive last yeart to extend the T61's life. Joke's on me.

Just orderd a Dell Vostro as a replacement. What I paid for the T61 is way too much for only three years of use.

If you had the Dell laptop with the exact same class of Nvidia GPU, it would probably suffer the same fate. Lenovo is not the only company that has the Nvidia problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape

Re: T61 nVidia quadro 140M problem/fail

George,

I know this is an old thread, but do you know what Lenovo part # would be a proper substitution with the Intel graphics chip? My system board is part # 41W1489.

Thanks.

Nick

Paper Tape

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I know. I've serviced a few HPs with the same issues as well.

Mark, I read in one of your posts you suggested replacing the T61 (with Quadro 140M) system board with one that had Intel graphics. My system board is part # 41W1489 (14.1" wide screen with 1440 X 900 resolution). What part # could I use to substitue as the rest of the laptop is in perfect working condition?

Thanks.

Nick