Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
dineshc

T61p dead ??

Hello All,

My Thinkpad T61p is not starting. if you could suggest me any tweaks or suggestoons it will be highly helpful.

Before sleep I pressed the power button to go to STANDBY. When I switch it back, it doesnt startup. Normally while rebooting, i could recognize the booting sound, reading the drives etc and then the boot screen will appear. This time the screen is blank, even the drives are not readiing up.Just 2 lights are lighting up, no sound, seems the PC is very relaxed.

My battery expired a year back, i think its a standard battery problem where it goes to 0% drains completly and the battery isnt recognized. Thats a different issue, I was tired with that and threw the 9 cell battery , currently running only with power cord.

Please could anyone suggest something to make it work.

- Is it monitor issue, I dont think so bcos the drives doesnt startup

- is it hard drive issue, I dont think so bcos atleast I will not see the blank screen and it will say HDD is not recognized

- is it motherboard issue, thats scary !!

- Is it a power cord issue, I dont think so bcos I could see the power light on

Please HELP !!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dinesh

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: T61p dead ??

It could be a motherboard issue, the nVidia GPU chip on these units sometimes fail in this way. Try unplugging the power and press the on button ten times, holding for one second each, then finally hold the button for about 30 seconds, then see if it will power on. If that doesn't work, try removing your harddrive and optical drive, then power on, if the screen still won't post try removing the ram. It won't post without ram, but a good board will beep without ram, no beeps meam bad news. The only thing left you can try removing is your miniPCIe card/s which you can access by removing the keyboard. 

ps. also remove any pc cards or usb devices, if none of the mentioned hardware is preventing your system from posting, then you probably have a bad system board.

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
megatanker454

Send to lenovo or go to a pc service near you
Punch Card
Novec

You're not alone.............

Who said Lenovo is quality?

read this : http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Replace-systembord-T61p-6457-CT0-WYG/td-...

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Novec, were you able to source a replacement board for your system?  

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Punch Card
Novec

I dropped my T61p on a shelf in my office. To replace the motheboard is a job that cost me to much time and without having the security that all things run fine after replacement made me decide to leave it where it is.

I'm still very dissappointed about the quality of my Lenovo's in my office.

So I will leave Lenovo and move to another: Dell, Samsung or Sony.

Regards