Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Bei337

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

$500?!  You positive on that?  Even if it's just to repair the GPU?  I suppose it is soldered on...but they would have to replace the whole mother board just for this chip?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,314

They have to change the whole board, they won't replace the GPU. $500 is probably the lower estimate, it will probably cost more like 600 to 700 USD. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
handsome

Yeah. I call lenovo technical service. They tell me I have pay for $400 - $500 to fix this problem~~~.

Lenovo is really sucks on this point!

lead_org

Actually every laptop company is the same, which is why you need warranty. You can buy the board on the ebay for around 240 USD, do this repair yourself. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
Bei337

[ Edited ]

I wonder if I could still extend the warranty...Too bad their department's closed til Monday.

lead_org, can you post a link to the ebay item or tell us what to search for?  I can't find it by typing t61p motherboard.

edit: I found it, just search for T61 motherboard instead of T61p.  Now I just need to find out which one replaces mine....

Message Edited by Bei337 on 04-18-2009 10:46 AM
lead_org

you can still extend the warranty in some cases within the one month grace period after your laptop warranty expires. 
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
Bei337

Ahh.. You see, it's been 7 months for me, so I'm probably SOL... Maybe a new labtop is the way to go, if $575 is what's needed to repair mine.  Sigh...
Punch Card
Bei337

[ Edited ]

To people having the same problem, take a look at this thread, while it doesn't offer a real solution, it's good to know that at least a moderator cares about your problem and point you in the right way!

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=28970 

Message Edited by Bei337 on 04-19-2009 11:24 AM
Punch Card
Bei337

Day 6 without a working laptop here...

I have invested a lot of time into investigating this problem and tried out just about every possible fix by myself, to no avail.  Thankfully the helpful admin here, Mark, is caring enough to answer my PM, but I am still waiting for his respond after I gave him my laptop information.  I've also been calling Lenovo, and after getting routed to different departments (from tech support to entitlement back to tech support) a couple of times, I've lost faith in Lenovo's telephone customer service.  Don't get me wrong, they are nice enough, as I am polite to them as well, to at least listen to my problem, but they don't seem to be able to offer me a practical solution, instead they use the "we are sorry to hear about this, please talk to a different department, and here is the phone number" ordeal.

Until now, I have always been very happy with my ThinkPad, and I have recommended it to so many people--I am a computer tech, so usually I tell my customers to look into ThinkPads when they bring in their dead machine-- boasting that it's a solid built computer which would give them peace of mind.  Ironically, my very own ThinkPad died an un-savable death, so to speak, and Lenovo is not there to really help.  You'd think the advertisement I gave out for them would warrant me better treatment, but life is not perfect.

I know it sounds like I am complaining and blaming Lenovo for everything, but I bet you would feel the same if this is happening to you right now, knowing the cause to the problem is not even yourself.

Punch Card
Bei337

To people having the same problem:

If you bought the laptop with a credit card, check with your credit card company to see if you have their extended purchase warranty!  In my case, I bought the laptop in September of 2007 with my CITI MasterCard, and I am under their extended purchase warranty until September of 2009.  They essentially double the warranty you bought from Lenovo!  Right now I'm waiting for MasterCard to mail over some claim forms and if everything goes smoothly they should mail me a $1200 check!   

So be sure to call the credit card company and ask about this service!