Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

All,

The one long and two short beeps can indicate a problem with the video subsystem (not just the GPU itself), and it can also be caused by issues with memory.  Let's try the easy stuff first...

As a first step, I would pull and reseat the memory.  If there is any oxidation evident on the memory contact pads, you can gently rub them with a pencil eraser to clean them. (the memory not the pins in the socket)

Try re-inserting the memory.  If you have two dimms, try one at a time in slot zero and see if the system will start up.  It may be a bad connection or bad memory. 

It can also be the video subsystem, in which case you are going to need to seek service.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
ctbear

Nothing works...
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

ctbear,

I've responded to you in the other thread on this...

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
ctbear

[ Edited ]

Dear Mark,

Sorry for getting back to you this late...I have been out of the state for the summer. 

Also, thanks for making the support and effort to lend a helping hand; however, I have already solved the issue through my credit card company with which I used to make the purchase of this laptop.

This is the method that I would also recommend EVERYONE else who has a similar problem with their thinkpad to follow.  Call your credit card company with which you used to make the laptop purchase.  Most credit card companies will have an extended warranty coverage (+1 year after manufacturer's warranty has expired) on purchases up to around $10,000, YMMV.  Explain the issue you have with your laptop and notify them of the faulty Nvidia gpu present in the laptop, which is the main problem that's causing all of these issues (esp the 3 beeps).  You will get a full refund of the price that you purchased the laptop.  Firstly, they will most likely send you a prepaid box with which you will use to send your laptop into your credit card company's own diagnostic center.  There, they will evaluate the problem with the laptop and conclude that a repair is not the best possible solution to a defect.

The above is the BEST route to use.  I suggest this because after sending my laptop to a plethora of 3rd-party repair shops, one after the other concluded that the Nvidia GPU is indeed defective, a conclusion I easily arrived with myself yet one that Lenovo consistently denied on the phone.  Sending in your laptop and paying an exorbitant fee to have it repair will only "buy you another time-bomb" which will inevitably fail in the near future.  Afterall, Lenovo will just replace the motherboard with the same defective gpu soldered onto it.  There is no way to "fix" this defect.

The heart of the problem lies with thermal bumping that plagues the G84M core and all other cores in that same family.  (Note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro)  The Quadro 570M is based off of the notoriously failing 8600M gt, both of which use the same faulty G84M core.  Nvidia, at first, attempted to hide this issue from the public, and until only recently, they have come out truthly to admit the issue.  It seems from everyone else on Lenovo forums that this problem has finally caught up and showing its face.  The number of users with this very same problem will only rise as time passes because these defective GPUs have reached their failing point through the many power cycles of typical laptop usage. 

This is where I lose faith in LENOVO/THINKPAD products.  Many other OEMs, including Dell, Sony, and HP, have issued a public notice to all their laptops containing the defective chips.  Yet, Lenovo has done nothing.  Other OEMs sought to "remedy," though only TEMPORARILY, the overheating and prematurely failing chips with BIOS updates, even though these updates do NOTHING but merely elevate the fan speed to max RPM, hoping to keep the chips running cool enough until they are out of warranty at which point you are basically left with an expensive doorstop.  Yet, Lenovo did not even try to acknowledge the problem.  Nvidia even agreed to pay back part of the costs for OEMs to repair/replace the defective chips ( "The chipmaker said in July it was taking a one-time charge of $150 million to $200 million to cover expenses relating to the glitch."   Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10063844-37.html ).  Thus, OEMs have discounted or even issued free repair notices for laptops affected.  Even so, Lenvo insists that we pay the $450+ repair fee without acknowledging the issue at hand. To make it worse, Lenovo has quietly gone and replaced all their laptops with AMD/ATI radeon branded gpus, effectively isolating and cutting support to the older laptops containing Nvidia chips.

This whole ordeal has truly tainted my perspective on the quality, indestructible, and "customer-always-comes-first" characteristics that were previously only held by Lenovo/Thinkpads.  Afterall, that is the only reason I purchased my T61p.  I wanted a reliable work machine that will last me through college and beyond, never expecting that it will suddenly fail one random morning when I go to turn it on.  Now that I am searching for a new laptop to purchase, I am very hesitant about buying another Lenovo.  Don't get me wrong here...I blame Nvidia for the issue that has caused my laptop and many others to suddenly perish.  However, the fact the Lenovo did nothing to step up and address the issue makes me very worried about their dealings with any possible future issues if I were to purchase another product from them.

Note from Moderator:  Please don't post the same message in multiple boards/threads as it splinters the discussion.  Duplicate(s) removed.

-Srry...just trying to get the word out to help others...

Message Edited by JaneL on 08-03-2009 08:54 PM
Message Edited by ctbear on 08-03-2009 06:19 PM
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

ct_bear,

I respect your opinions and the advice you share in your post above, but you are making statements of fact that you cannot substantiate without having had the GPU of your board failure analyzed.  The 1 long , 2 short beep can be caused by a number of things, and assuming it's the video subsystem, without some board level analysis one can't say for sure that it is the GPU itself.

Even if the GPU itself, it would require some analysis by Nvidia engineers to say that the failure mode was consistent with the well publicized issue.   

You also go on to assert that Lenovo has "quietly changed over to using ATI radeon instead of Nvidia" in current laptops as a way of covering over the issue.  The ThinkPad W700 is powered by an NVidia Quadro FX2700M processor, and many of the IdeaPad products (including a Y530 sitting on my desk now) that use Nvidia GPUs as well.   I view this as a technology / supplier sourcing decisions for certain products in the product line and nothing more.

It's fair for you to have an opinion, but please be careful in overstating opinions as conclusive facts.  

Thanks

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-04-2009 10:23 AM

Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums
Punch Card
apexbai

I have used Thinkpad for more than 8 years. The first one is 600X, which lasted for 3 years before replaced by a R50. At the time I returned it to the company, it was still runing without any issue. R50 worked for me 2 years and I switched to T43. There is nothing wrong with R50 but definitely T series is much better than R. Right now I am writing the message by my 5 years old T43 but my 1 and half years old T61 died. I bought only 1 year warranty for T61 since according to my experience, I totally trust Thinkpad. But you know the fact is it died. Surely I know this is not Lenovo's fault. For my case, nvidia GPU died. But I just feel really disappointed about the attitude of Lenovo towards nvidia issue. I thought thinkpad was the best laptop. Now I may give other brand a chance, like HP or Dell.

Punch Card
ctbear

Paper Tape
kurul

[ Edited ]

Hello,

i am new in forum. i have same problem with my T61p. i sent to local service my laptop. They said that mainboard have to be change. Price is 685 $. But if i can give a copy of bill, lenovo service will change motherboard free. 2 years ago i bought my laptop from lenovo usa web site. My laptop information as follow:

Type:6459-CTO

Seri:L3xxxxx

Please someone help me to get copy of bill. i am living in Turkey.

Moderator Note; s/n edited for members own protection

Message Edited by andyP on 08-11-2009 05:07 PM
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

The choice of GPU usually rests on price, innovation and supply.... price and supply is the most important... this is one of the why Microsoft dropped Nvidia for ATI when it was planning to build the Xbox 360, as nvidia wanted more royalty from xbox sales. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
SmokeyBreeze

[ Edited ]

I'm new here, but here's how I solved my dead graphics problem:

My T61p (6459-CTO, T7700, WUXGA 15.4") graphics died.  The first time this happened, I took it in to an authorized IBM/Lenovo warranty repair shop.  My laptop just went out of warranty, so this was an out of warranty repair.

They replaced my planar/system board FRU 42W7653 with another 42W7653, and I was happy.  For about a month - then the graphics died again.  I took it back to the repair shop and they spent nearly 3 months trying to find another 42W7653.  They couldn't find a 42W7653, so they called me and gave me full credit for the cost of the repairs that they did towards a new machine *and* gave me my dead machine back.

So, since I hate wasting all those good parts, I went about searching the Internet for a 42W7653.  None were available, but I read somewhere that a 44c3931 was a direct replacement.  

I worked with one online company that verified that this was indeed a verified replacement, but they didn't have any of them in stock.  I worked with another online company that said that the 44c3931 had compatibility problems with being a direct replacement to the 42W7653 and that I should contact Lenovo for the details since they (rightly so) didn't want to get mixed up with that.

So, to get those details, I called the IBM/Lenovo 800 support number (it's on their website under support, laptop/notebook support).  I spoke with a great support person who told me that FRU 44c3931 was *not* the replacement for *my* T61p (I gave him my model number and serial number); however, he told me that 43Y9048 *was* the replacement for my 42W7653.

I could call IBM parts at an 800 number that the support tech gave me and order a 43Y9048, since he couldn't look up the price, but assured me that 43Y9048s were in stock.

So, off I went and called the IBM parts 800 number, verified that the 43Y9048 was the replacement for my 42W7653, and got a price.  The price seemed high, so I wrote it down and went off searching the Internet for a 43Y9048.  

Each time I found a 43Y9048 listed for sale, I called to verify the part was in stock and shippable.  So, starting with the lowest cost place and working more expensive until I got to the IBM quoted price (if I had to go that far), and off I went.  I found places listing this FRU for ~35% to over 110% the cost that IBM quoted me.

The first 4 places I called didn't have a 43Y9048 in stock, and couldn't tell me if they could even get it anymore.  Finally I found one in-stock from a place I'd done business with in the past at a cost significantly cheaper than the IBM quoted price.  

So, the bottom line is this:  Call IBM support (don't forget to be nice to these folks, they really do have the information you seek) and ask for the replacement FRU for *your* specific build, do your due diligence in finding a trusted source at a price you can work with, then order it and get out your little screw-drivers (or find someone that can do the swap for you).

UPDATE:

The 43Y9048 arrived this afternoon, and my T61p is back up and running.  The planar/system board swap took me less than 2 hours.

UPDATE:

The 43Y9048 had absolutely zero fitment issues and has had absolutely no compatibility issues thus far, so I think I can call this a big success.

UPDATE:

It's now been almost 5 months with the 43Y9048 replacement planar/system board and the system has been flawless - I have left it plugged in and on screensaver for weeks on end multiple times.  I have my power options to maximum performance when plugged in so the HDD doesn't spin down, the LCD doesn't sleep, the system doesn't suspend or hibernate.  This behaviour leads me to believe the replacement boards appear to have fixed the GPU problem.

On first boot, remember to go into the BIOS and set the date/time.

A word of advice to the wise if you are undertaking this.  When you remove the screws from the planar/system board, use a red permanent marker to place a dot on the circuit board where the screws were.  There are a lot more places to put screws than screws to remove - some of the screw holes will be filled when you attach the planar assembly to the outer case.  You can match up the locations from the old planar/system board to the new planar/system board as you re-assemble.

You might also want to use one dot for the shortest screws, two dots for the next largest, three dots for the next largest, etc... 

Message Edited by SmokeyBreeze on 08-17-2009 07:05 PM
Message Edited by SmokeyBreeze on 08-18-2009 08:24 AM
Message Edited by SmokeyBreeze on 01-12-2010 07:14 PM