Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
shoe_120

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

Got my T61p back today. The repair report sheet says "Checked machine power on no display,checked system board failure,replaced system board and clean up the machine,test passed"  I checked the planar,it's the same FRU 42W7653.  I don't know whether it will fail again in the future.  The repaire result simply said it was the system board failure. So I have no idea whether the problem is caused by GPU failure or the planar failure.
Paper Tape
rheoled

My 1.5-year-old $1600 T61 died this week, apparently due to this issue (1 long  beep, 2 short beeps, won't start).  I had a pretty great experience with my T41, but I feel very disappointed with this product.  I am an IT professional who counts on this hardware to earn a living.  I'm hours into working around this, restoring to other systems from backups, etc, and I have a ways to go still.  I called Lenovo, my warranty is expired, they offer to send a box, fix it for ~$500-$600, and get it back to me in a week or two.   Incredible.  $100/month for this laptop, plus many hours of unplanned labor and delay.  Who's the best alternative:  Dell?  HP?

Fanfold Paper
milleryuan

How many people have this problem?

I have two T61 and one T60, they are NV 140M, The first two are in the warranty, so Lenovo changed motherboard free, but last one T61 is out of warranty, I have no decide to ask Lenovo fix it yet, I not sure  this problem will  happen again or not, do you guys have a solution?

Thanks

Miller

Paper Tape
gkulk

I have run into the same problem, my laptop is less than one month out of the warranty. I will try and follow some of the advice given above. A bigger problem I have is as follows -

I have been using Lenovo Rescue and Recovery religiously for the last two years to create monthly incremental backups on a USB drive. While I am trying to get my laptop repaired, I would like to at least recover my files from the backup and start working on a different machine.

I was told by Lenovo support that the only way to get to the data is to connect the drive to another T61p, running the exact same version of Rescue and Recovery I had on my original T61p. For one, I have to idea what version of R&R  I had on my laptop. Secondly, I am in no position to get another T61p just to recover the data.

I would have thought that there would be a version of R&R that I could run on any Windows machine, and recover the data, but apparently that's not so.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can recover my data?

Thanks,

gkulk

Fanfold Paper
armac

T61P 570M Failure

Hi,

I bought my T61P in Sept, 2007 and have used it mainly for gaming, 3dsmax, and photoshop.  A few months ago, i noticed that the temperature seemed quite hot after 20mins of gaming.  This was even on an antec laptop cooler that i've always used.  Nonetheless, I installed TPfancontrol to circumvent any overheating that may occur.  Temperatures during load still seemed high but acceptable, up to 90C at times during the summer.

Yesterday, it was working fine in the morning and i noticed temperatures were not exceeding 80C.  Later that night, when i tried to open it and wake it from sleep, it beeped and never came up.  I held the power button, shut it off, and now it won't turn back on.  It gives me the "One long and two short beeps, and a blank or unreadable LCD" as described on the Lenovo site.

I'm suspecting that this issue stems from the faulty nvidia g84 cores that result in premature deaths.  However, my warranty expired last year and i'm concerned that the repair will be half the cost of the notebook.  Since nvidia has claimed responsibility and has negotiated with vendors and distributors, does this mean that the repair may be covered by this percurser?

I've read a lot of posts on the forums and it would appear that Lenovo is not taking any part in nvidia's "extended coverage" as written in their 8-K form.  Has anyone had any success in dealing with Lenovo regarding this particular issue?

Thanks for the help,

ryan

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

Re: T61P 570M Failure

Armac,

Got your PM, please see my PM reply and also some of my upstream comments.   Sorry that you are having these troubles.

gkulk,

If you just want to access the data off the drive, it could be put in a USB enclosue or ultrabay adapter and mounted as a second drive where you could copy files off it.   I might have some other suggestions for you - could you send me a private message with your system MT and Serial number?  I'd like to look into your situation.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
lagear

Hi, I've the same problem, one long beep then two short beep.

I bought the T61p on 10/31/07 from Lenovo Web Site with Credit card, so no warranty right now.

I dont live in USA, I live in Bolivia.

How can I solved this problem without pay 450-600$ that others guys said, if the problem is caused by NVdia.

The type is 6459-CTO,

Regards,

Marcos

Paper Tape
kurul

[ Edited ]

Hello Marcos

you have 2 choice

1. you should send your computer local lenovo service. They know this problem. All Lenovo service worldwide know this issue. They will change your motherboard free of charge. Just you need bill information. Because all service want bill information. 

2. you can buy motherboard from Ebay (about 300 $) like me. Code is 44C3931 best for this issue.

Hope it will help you

Punch Card
ctbear

gkulk wrote:

I have run into the same problem, my laptop is less than one month out of the warranty. I will try and follow some of the advice given above. A bigger problem I have is as follows -

I have been using Lenovo Rescue and Recovery religiously for the last two years to create monthly incremental backups on a USB drive. While I am trying to get my laptop repaired, I would like to at least recover my files from the backup and start working on a different machine.

I was told by Lenovo support that the only way to get to the data is to connect the drive to another T61p, running the exact same version of Rescue and Recovery I had on my original T61p. For one, I have to idea what version of R&R  I had on my laptop. Secondly, I am in no position to get another T61p just to recover the data.

I would have thought that there would be a version of R&R that I could run on any Windows machine, and recover the data, but apparently that's not so.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can recover my data?

Thanks,

gkulk

That is hilariously wrong (and possibly deceptive) of Lenovo to tell you that you must have another T61p in order to plug your existing hdd into it to retrieve your data.  Anyhow, it is most likely a SATA connection type of drive so plug it into your desktop via SATA connections or bring it to a friend's place and plug it into their desktop if you do not have the correct connections.  (For me, I had to plug it in the desktop as a MASTER drive in order to get the drive recognized and accessible).  Back up your data and whipe wipe the drive clean just in case (protect your sensitive data).

The best way to protect yourself from a disaster such as this one is to religiously back up to an external hard drive.  Also, I'd recommend repartitioning the hdd into 2 partitions if you do not have an external hdd (reformat and erase the hidden Lenovo partition...it's pretty much useless imho).  With 2 partitions, install windows on the smaller one and use the other one to store all of your stuff.  That way, when there are any windows/driver issues that prevent you from booting in, just reinstall windows on the smaller windows partition, while preserving all your  data on the other paritition.  (use Acronis...good program).

So has Lenovo finally accepted the defect and are finally repairing people's mobos without charging that absurd price?  It seems that this issue has grown drastically since I was so unfortuantely struck down as a victim.  I've been over on multiple forums and Lenovo isn't the only one suffering this problem.  Lots of Sony's and HP's are hit with it as well.

Good luck everyone,

-ctbear

Punch Card
shoe_120

Hello kurul, how do you know motherboard 44C3931 is best for solving this nasty problem?