Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
teemac5511

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

I'm also a victim of the "one long beep,two short beep" issue. Luckily for me ,my t61p is still in warranty and I sent it to Lenovo repair apartment and got it back with a new 43Y9048 systemboard in it. It seems that a lot of T61ps experienced this symptom in year 2009.I've searched some other forums and found this issue is happening at approximately the same time. The people who get their systemboard replaced by Lenovo/Thinkpad, said that the motherboard changed to 43Y9048(15") or 43Y9046(14"). Is there any staff from Lenovo can reassure me that the 43Y9048 systemboard is a modified board that is free of the Nvidia GPU issue?
 If not, then I wil be very unhappy because Lenovo should not give our customers the same defective board!

What's DOS?
Xach

Just thought i'd give this a bump

-im another T61p user whose laptop bricked today  :'(

it was working just fine, i shut the lid to put it into standby, and the LCD never came back

now upon boot i get the one long, two short beeps of GPU death.

if this many people are having this exact problem, and it is undeniably a manafacturers hardware issue lenovo really should address it.

i know if i have to pay more than $100 to get this fixed  (which seems likely), i will definately never be purchasing a TP again.  2 years is not a reasonable lifetime for a computer that cost almost 3000 new...

up untill now, ive been pretty happy with my thinkpad, someone at lenovo really ought to read this thread i cant imagine any manager in their right mind would want this many TP supporters to go sour..  or start saving up for macbooks...

Punch Card
TD-Linux

My 6459-CTO also died yesterday... a bit dissapointed as I'm a bit over the 2 year mark, thus missing both warranties. I want to buy another motherboard and replace it (it still seems like the most economical choice) but I have no clue how much that would cost, shipped from Lenovo.

Because I don't want this to happen again, I was wondering, what are the possible choices of compatable motherboards. If the new one has a fixed G84 chip, I'd be okay with that.

Even better, are there compatable motherboards with newer chips, say, G9x series? It seems like most of the 15.4" T series and W series are built very similar, so could I get a newer/better/more reliable motherboard to replace this one?

I called Lenovo but am a bit hesitant to let them bill me before I even know what options I have.

Punch Card
TD-Linux

As a follow-up to my previous message:

I called support, they offered to replace my motherboard for $475. Finding that a bit steep, they redirected me to the parts ordering service, which quoted me over $700 for the motherboard...

What?

The replacement, by the way, is the 43Y9048. I also need to figure out if the replacement motherboard is covered under a warranty.

Punch Card
Dzik

Hi, this is my 1st post here. I also fell a victim to the issue. First random shutdowns, BSODs and freezez and this morning nothing but 1 long and 2 short beeps and black LCD. I tried resetting DIMMs to no avail, it's a brick now. It must be the planar(mobo)/nVidia 570M issue everybody is talking about here. My T61p was bought in July 2007 and has FRU PN:42W7653 mobo. I'm out of warranty and can't afford the expensive repair with Lenovo some of you quoted here. I have chunk of my life and I'm dependent on the ThinkPad. :smileysad: These were top shelf laptops we bought, with high claims of reliability and we all spent a lot of money on those. For 2 grand I spent I sure hoped I'd be using this laptop until it can no longer keep up with ever growing demands of evolving software; another words part with it on my own terms. I don't believe I was even half way in that quest.

1. Seeing that this is a wide spread issue, did anybody without warranty got it repaired for free?

2. If not, what is the least expensive remady for us at this point?

I really like ThinkPads and I hope my experience with this issue will not alter my perception of the brand. If mine was an insolated issue, I would not even bother writing here, afterall I could have bought 3 year warranty instead of betting on IBM(one of the last ones that still got IBM sticker)/Lenovo name. But it's not and therefore I have higher expectation of Lenovo to take responsiblity for what looks to me should be a recall.

Punch Card
TD-Linux

[ Edited ]

Dzik, I found the boards on Ebay for $320 refurbished, $240 used (+$20 shipping). I would beware of buying a board though, as it's likely to fail again, especially for a used or refurbished product.

It seems like the least expensive option would be to pay the $475 to get it fixed, that is unless Lenovo's stupid (sorry for the language, but I think it's deserved here) pricing system finally figures out that repairs aren't supposed to cost negative three hundred dollars. I'm waiting on another thread to see if there is a cheaper source. Also, I don't yet know if Lenovo's repairs are covered by any sort of warranty.

Admittedly, this is not Lenovo's fault, and it affected all the other makers using the G84, but I find it terribly dissapointing that Lenovo fails to acknowledge the issue. HP and Dell have extended their warranties a year - not enough to save my machine (a testimony to Lenovo thermal management, that is) but at least giving some assistance.

Can't Lenovo hammer out some agreement with nVidia, something like "pay for repairs or we will never buy nVidia again" ? Oh wait, Lenovo isn't buying nVidia anymore, I guess that won't work.

I think I might just sell my T61p for parts and buy a new HP or Dell Vostro. I'm typing this on my HP, which is a bit outdated and ugly but has held up twice as long as my Lenovo.

P.S. I would also be happy with, say, a $300 cash credit to go towards buying a new Lenovo. Hint, hint.

P.P.S. How about replacing the motherboard with a T500 motherboard?

Or even better, how about buying a T500 shell + motherboard, and swapping all my components into the new T500?

Punch Card
Dzik

Thanks TD-Linux. I found a couple of online places that claim to have new replacement mobos in low to mid $200 price range. I'm waiting for their resopnse to confirm that it's new and in stock. I'll post when I get their reply.

Let us know if you find out if Lenovo repair is covered by warranty and if the T61p mobo can be replaced with T500 mobo or if the swap you mentioned is possible.

Boy, I sure hope Lenovo steps up and does the right thing.

Blue Screen Again
T61Fan

Will not work. The shell is designed with the components in mind. The T61 components are sufficiently different enough to be non interchangeable with a T500 MB. Looks like your only option is to sit tight and watch what Lenovo does, use your *credit card*, see if they have any warranty covering defective manufacturing practices, or purchase a new MB. Since Lenovo seems to be stalling for time here, my recommendation is the credit card route, as that will guarantee you either the purchase price refunded, or repair costs covered, if your credit card covers it.

Paper Tape
wilsonywx

Mine died around two weeks ago. I am experiencing the same dilemma as many of the users here: what should I do with this expensive piece of paperweight that is out of warranty?

Blue Screen Again
T61Fan

Maybe bring the threads associated with these mass failures to a Lenovo CSR's attention.