Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,307
Solutions: 283

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

cinom0923,

Your data will be intact - no affect on the HDD.   I would suggest removing and re-installing memory one module at a time to rule that out as perhaps a less likely cause.  When starting the system with only 1 memory module, it must be in slot 0.

If not the memory, then it is most likely the video subsystem and the system board will need to be serviced.

Can you send me a private message with your model type and serial number from the bottom of your computer?

I'll see what can be done.

Obviously, any component in a computer can eventually fail, and discussions form and grow over time when there is a clear, common, visible symptom like this beep code.   As a matter of normal course, I would recommend all customers to consider extended warranties for their systems (any and all models) if they are still under warranty.   Extended warranties are a fairly economical way of adding several years of coverage, and allow Lenovo to continue to fully support and service the system.  If a unit is out of warranty, a post warranty maintenance agreement can be purchased that also provides coverage.  Click here for details on our service offerings.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
chag

Hi All,

I have a Thinkpad T60, Series 2008 B64.

I am having the same 1 long beep 2 short beep problem and assume it is a problem with my GPU.  My warranty is expired so calling wasn't helpful.  I tried asking for the replacement FRU number suggested by SmokeyBreeze in message 39 of this thread but was not told it.  I don't have much experience with these problems but I wouldn't mind trying to install a new GPU if I can find a replacement unit for a decent price.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Fanfold Paper
SmokeyBreeze

chag -

If your T60 is like the T61/T61p, the GPU is an integral part of the system board.

Find your existing FRU either by looking on your own machine, or cross-referencing it here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-66975.html

There are 3 system boards listed each have a different GPU and corresponding FRU:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

ATI Mobility Fire GL V5250 256MB RAM

Then, do some Internet searching and you should find what you seek.

Fanfold Paper
dng1111

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

This just happend to me for the first time as well, after using this laptop problem free for more than two years - and YES, the overheating method mentioned above actually worked to get the computer to start again.... WIERD!  I hope I won't have to do this every night =(

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,314

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

Nvidia did pay a conciliatory fee for their mistakes (not enough to even cover their own faulty GPU_, but the laptop companies pick up all the bad press and fees for the repair (shipping, motherboard, labour costs, etc). So many companies (i.e. HP and Dell) try to ramp up the internal fan to hopefully cool it down enough to overcome their 3 year voluntary recall period liability. While other companies have not expressed any of their policies regarding the defective component. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
honolulu

T61 can not boot up with 1 long beep and 2 short beeps

[ Edited ]

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my T61, when I press the power button, it sounds 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, and shows a black screen, 2 lights still on including the  pwr light. It seems it does not pass the POST. Someone said video card was out of order. Anybody know how to check it or how to find the part number.

type 7662cto, s/n *******

Thanks a lot!

Moderator edit: Masked serial number to prevent mis-use.

Punch Card
texudo

Re: T61 can not boot up with 1 long beep and 2 short beeps

You are another victim of VGA Card of  T61P; In this period time; there are a lot of people have the same problem:

You need to replce the mainboard...for fixing this problem.

I do not know, but I think Lenovo and NVIDIA shoud be responsible for this situation.

The victim will increase by the time:

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 630

The beep code you describe points to the system board, display or RAM.

What happens if you remove your RAM? Do you get the same error code or a different one? If you have more than one stick of RAM installed try them individually.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
honolulu

maybe. it's just been 2 years...Levono should recall them like toyota.... BTW, can I find any way to fix it? I spent $1200 two years ago. It should not die so early.

andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 630

andyP wrote:

The beep code you describe points to the system board, display or RAM.

What happens if you remove your RAM? Do you get the same error code or a different one? If you have more than one stick of RAM installed try them individually.

Did you try as suggested? You can find instructions on how to remove the RAM here.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog