Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
honolulu

Re: T61 can not boot up with 1 long beep and 2 short beeps

Hi Andy,

I tried as below:

1. remove two Ram chips, turn on the power, beeps like "-,---,---,-";

2, Insert one of them in the up-slot, turn on the power, sounds "-,---,---,-", and then "1 long and 2 short" beeps;

3. Insert one of them in the down-slot, turn on the power, sounds same as both in the slots, sounds one long and 2 short beeps.

So, what else should I do?

Thanks a lot!

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 681
Solutions: 610

Re: T61 can not boot up with 1 long beep and 2 short beeps

That's not good news. :smileysad:  It leaves two options, either the display or main board and I guess you don't have a spare of either lying around to test.

Have you considered contacting service to ask if they can help, even if it costs something? I'm sure the repair costs would be lower than the value of the system.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Token Ring
LinYu

3 beeps and good bye!...

[ Edited ]

I turned off my T61p last night with no sign of any impending problem. When I turned it in this morning, nothing happens.

To be exact, something does happen and it may even be quite meaningful for an expert. Here is what that little something is:

I press the power button and the lights go on, as expected, just for 1 or 2 seconds. Then, the HD light flashes for a fraction of a second and then disappears with three beeps, the first one longer than the second and the third, which sound for a noticeably shorter period of time.

And this is it. It takes much longer to describe than for the whole thing to have start and finish. What remains? Just the wireless sign, the power connection light and the battery light.

When I press the power button again to shut it off, another beep sounds, but this one, I think, is the one that is produced when the machine shuts off.

I made a few Google searches for those three beeps and encountered a site that refers the meaning of those beeps as related to problems with:

1  -  System board

2  -  LCD assembly

3  -  DIMM

My extended warranty expires this coming October and these seem like potentially very expensive repairs, so I think I will definitely have to call Lenovo.

What's going on? Are the Lenovo machines keeping the old famed reputation of Big Blue or what?

Getting a little frustrating...

Fanfold Paper
jchin7

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

Hi I purchased my t61p in october of 2007 and did not purchase a warrenty on top of the 1 year warrenty, would i still be able to purchase a new extension of my warranty?  thanks for any help

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

jchin7 wrote:

Hi I purchased my t61p in october of 2007 and did not purchase a warrenty on top of the 1 year warrenty, would i still be able to purchase a new extension of my warranty?  thanks for any help

you can still purchase the out of warranty warranty extension from Lenovo. You would have to call Lenovo customer service. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
jchin7

hello again

would this be under this information?  i tried calling earlier but they wouldn't refer me to another because i did not have a warrenty in place already. 

United States   English   1-800-426-7378

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

give it a try, i am not too sure. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

jchin7,

Please see my PM response to you.

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
rmplima

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a dead lenovo T61 bought on January 2008 with only 1 year warranty.

Today it happenned to me, 1 long beep and 2 short beeps and no boot.

I am extremely disapointed with this laptop.

I have never tought that after 2 years and 2 months, it would die.

I am going to contact lenovo to check what my options are, but without any hopes.

My first reaction was I would not buy again a lenovo.

It was the laptop with the perfect configuration to me.

So, the new one should have similar specs, but does it make any sense to buy another Lenovo?

This is my main question.

Take care,

I have contacted Lenovo, but because it is out of warranty, no help.

What it really bothers me is that like most of you I depend a lot on this laptop to work.

Punch Card
texudo

My T61p is dead with the GPU problem, I have bought it from 10/2007, and it's already out warranty I decided go to the Lenovo service center in my country for replacing mainboard, and do you know how much they charge for this problem, 680 USD. It's too expensive, and I bring my laptop go home with the dead:smileysad:. I want to know do Lenovo have policy for this problem?