Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
tsavyon

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

Hi Mark,

I have spoken with the technical support manager in my area,

The manager said that he can't find any MIGR-75087 document, as well my model might never been imported to Israel so that's the reason they don't know anything about the GPU problem with those t61 machines.

Anyway he told me to ask "Lenovo USA" to contact him regarding it. I'll really appreciate it if you help to show him that document, his name is Sachar Cohen. I don’t know why he can't solve this on his own, but I really need your help here. Calling support in USA can take a lot of time and money; till someone will help me there (international calls issue).

Thanks Mark,

Tal Savyon

Punch Card
cesarcotta

I got my computer back yesterday from repairs and it works beautifully!

Even though the phone support didn't work at first it's really reassuring to know that there's other avenues to get help from. This forum was a great not only because of the information already available but also because there's people from lenovo paying attention. And that last thing is not something that happens in many companies.

The whole process was surprisingly painless and I'm really happy.

Punch Card
ChrisK15

Seems like the real problem is with Solectron/Flextronics, the service depot Lenovo uses. Everyone I've talked to from Lenovo/IBM has been pretty helpful, especially Mark. The depot though is horrible, and it's a shame that Lenovo/IBM's good name and products have to be marred by the terrible third-party repair service.

What's DOS?
ThinkPadFailure

Hold on!  I am having this problem with my ThinkPad (purchased 4Q 2007, 1 yr. warranty).  Couple of forced shut-downs, blue screens, report of a bad video driver, and finally no image at all on the screen ... or on an attached monitor.  I just called Lenovo technical support, reported the problem and told them about this service tip.  No Help.  The technician said my system didn't qualify.  He asked for a description of what the screen was doing, and based on my description said it wasn't the same problem.  I told him that it was curious that I have a machine with the faulty Nvidia card and a failed display, and that didn't qualify for the repair.  Is there another avenue I can go through technical support, to someone at Lenovo who will honor the repair??

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

ThinkPadFailure,

I'm not sure what to advise on this.   Honestly, the symptoms you have don't match the particular symptoms - yes, you now have a black screen, and the prior symptoms seem to point toward a video subsystem that was on the way out.   I would agree with the support tech on this one.

The tip referenced provides specific coverage for a particular set of symptoms on specific systems and is not intended to broadly extend the warranty to cover any and all video failures.  

There are always going to be points of failure in a system and we cover those under the warranty terms, and through extended warranties and maintenance agreements (if purchased) by the customer.   I want to be very clear on this, so that this discussion does not create a perception that Lenovo is providing open ended coverage for any video defect beyond warranty.

That said, look for a private message from me later today... let's exchange some more specifics and see if I might have some other recomendations for you.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
awing

Re: T61p exhibiting 1 long and 2 short beep and black screen

Hello,

Add me as another owner of a non-working T61p. Same thing happened: Laptop was ok the day before, then yesterday  one long beep and 2 short beeps, then it doesn't work- no start-up, nothing. Checked all over the internet and found this forum. Luckily I checked my receipts and found out I'm still under warranty.  Laptop purchased Sept 07. Just called Lenovo support; told my problem, he asked if I tried to use an external monitor, I said no. Short pause and then he said they will send a box in. Here's hoping they can fix my laptop.

Blue Screen Again
Sandybell

Hi Mark,

I am a Chinese student. I purchased a 6459CTO T61p Dec 07 in US when i studied there. Since CTO laptops does not get worldwide warranty I only purchased 1 year warranty with the laptop. I went back to China sometime later and my laptop just dead just 5 hours ago, exactly experiencing the symptom you described in the thread.

I hope to get your suggestions on: (1) do i qualify a free fix on my T61p? if so, should i contact local service of lenovo or contact lenovo US? (2) is it possible if i ship my laptop to lenovo US and get it back in China? if not, is it possible if i ship my laptop to lenovo US and get it back from some of my friends who live in US whose address lenovo US can send it to?

thanks,

Sandy

Blue Screen Again
Sandybell

Called lenovo China and they said they never heard of this issue and asked me to contact lenovo US since it is out of warranty.

Paper Tape
Breeze2theworld

My T61p  is 6459CTO.

Fanfold Paper
t8rpwlkr

Just would like to give my thanks to both Mark and Cleo for the assistance they have provided in resolving the issue with my T61p.

I have a T61p bought through ebay in the US, and I am currently living in the Philippines. Having read the entire thread, I decided to call the local Lenovo technical support here in the Philippines. As suggested, I provided the document ID to the local technical support and they promised to read the document and would contact me soon. By the end of the day the local support contacted me and said that they have found the said document and have generated a case number and endorsed it to the Lencare team based in Malaysia. Four days have passed and the local support in the Philippines haven't received any feedbacks from the Lencare team based in Malaysia. Since I would need my laptop soon for my work, I decided to ask the help of Mark through the forum. After two days, I received a call from the local technical support in the Philippines and I was told that they have just received a feedback from Malaysia and that they would send a technician soon to change the planar of my T61p. Yesterday, a technician visited me and replace the planar card of my laptop.

Again, thanks guys for the assistance.