Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
dsavard

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

I did quote the original poster on Youtube, link already provided. That's the very reason there is "" enclosing the quote. If you want to argue about it, you can go on Youtube, link already provided.

Bottom line, that problem is due to bad quality of either Lenovo or Nvidia, in both cases Lenovo reselling Nvidia products is responsible for customer disatisfaction and resolution of this problem. Whatever you think about the nice after market it creates for those reselling boards to solve the problem that in the very first place is a Lenovo problem.

I rest my case, Lenovo is abusing its customers here.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I wasn't intending to imply you were wrong, I was only commenting on the root problem. There is a lot of misinformation leading people to think this can be fixed by resoldering the chips, and it cannot. I think I even left the "quotes" intact, and I know it wasn't your words, so no arguements from me.

As for lenovo, it is their product, so they are responsible. They have done a lot to make up for the problem. I'm sure everyone agrees they can't fix them for free forever, and no matter what date they decide to stop, it's going ot upset someone who missed it. What I'd like to see is some sort of cost effective solution from lenovo, perhaps giving us a reasonably priced board that has a NEW graphics system on it, not a patched up one that's likely to fail again. Seems to me if some companies can make cheap dept store laptops complete for $300 or less that lenovo ought to be able to make some brand new system boards to replace these for $100 or less, after all it wouldn't require an operating system, harddrive, ram, cpu, optical drive, LCD screen, keyboard, and all the rest of the components, just the basic board, even one with integrated graphics, as long as it will WORK and not cost more then the laptop is worth. 

That would have been a much better way to spend the money instead of giving away free boards for 13months.

By the way, I've learned that citizens in the UK can sue the store that sold the laptop to them. I think this only compounds the problem instead of fixing it. After all, the store didn't design it, didn't build it, didn't warranty it, and if the product dies years after the warranty expires and the courts force the store to refund the purchase, then the smaller stores will soon be out of business and the bigger ones will be forced to raise their prices...  and the consumer loses in the end. Next the stores have to sue the manufacturers to recoup the losses in these lawsuits, creating more work for the legal system.  

Seems like only lawyers win here...   comsumers lose, retailers lose, manufactures lose...    what a mess.

However if you happen to live in the UK, then you should do a search for the nVidia defect forum and see what recourse you have against the store that sold your laptop. I may not agree with the legal system, but since it exists, you should get whatever it allows because you're going to suffer the inflation it causes regardless, so good luck.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
lotsasand

After reading more blogs and forums on this issue, I would have to agree with TuuS that heating or baking the system board is not a fix, but rather only a temporary patch.

I ended up only getting 1 day out of the heating up method, but have survived a few days so far with the baking method. I have also come across a heat gun method that sounds somewhat safer, although that is relative to baking and overheating the entire board. At least I was able to enter the bios to disable the security on my harddrives (one in the bay as well) so that I could access my data on another computer one day if this one (T61p) dies again.

I am looking to order a replacement board now, but at least the baking method is bridging me over as I try to find a part and figure out how to get it here. It also sounds like others have baked the board more than once, so if I can't find myself a heat gun easily enough I may try baking again while waiting for the replacement part to arrive. Therefore the "hack" methods are helpful for those of us past the warranty and isolated or needing the use of the laptop urgently while we look for a more permanent solution.

Just thought I'd post this to let others know I didn't seem to suffer any ill effects from trying the unconventional solutions to rescue me while I was seeking out a more long-term one.

Cheers.

Paper Tape
tomy984

Just wanted to say thank you Tuus for helping me out with my T61.

My permanent solution was to switch motherboard with the Intel one.(that Tuus provided)

Everything works ok, my thinkpad is alive again, running smooth and cool and I am satisfied.

In the end, repair cost was reasonable for this great machine.

Also, with the Intel board, this type of problem should not repeat. (so I hope)

Punch Card
Insomniacno1

[ Edited ]

TuuS wrote:

As for lenovo, it is their product, so they are responsible. They have done a lot to make up for the problem. I'm sure everyone agrees they can't fix them for free forever, and no matter what date they decide to stop, it's going ot upset someone who missed it. What I'd like to see is some sort of cost effective solution from lenovo, perhaps giving us a reasonably priced board that has a NEW graphics system on it, not a patched up one that's likely to fail again. Seems to me if some companies can make cheap dept store laptops complete for $300 or less that lenovo ought to be able to make some brand new system boards to replace these for $100 or less, after all it wouldn't require an operating system, harddrive, ram, cpu, optical drive, LCD screen, keyboard, and all the rest of the components, just the basic board, even one with integrated graphics, as long as it will WORK and not cost more then the laptop is worth. 

Well, as I see it, Lenovo earned good money on selling these laptops so it would only be fair that they fixed them either for free or made it possible for consumers to buy cheap boards(price= 50$ + shipping). Lenovo can't run from the fact that they earned the money, selling a factory faulty product!!!!!

Its not the consumer, but the manufacturers fault, and therefore the consumer should not suffer from this!! They bought the laptops in good faith - beliving in the brand!

If I owned Lenovo, I would send every single owner a new board, since when the laptops where sold more than enough were earned to cover this expense. Technology today is better and its cheaper to make a replacement board!

This issue has made a more or less permanent stain on Lenovo's reputation - The lucky ones got a new board, bad luck for the rest! This is not good enough Lenovo!!!

I suggest everyone here who didn't get a board, write Lenovo headquarters - When Fox Cancelled Jericho(TV show), the viewers(from all countries where the show were aired)collected money and delivered 1 ton of nuts in front of Fox's main entrance - refering to an episode where "nuts" were mentioned as being equal to Crazy.

The nuts blocked the entrance so no-one could come or go until they were removed. Fox listened to the viewers and continued the show.

How many here feel the same way, and like to tell Lenovo that they are not going to buy Lenovo products next time unless this probleme is fixed. Lenovo must have a list of how many laptops, with this probleme, they sold - so they should make equal amount of replacement boards! Anything else is NUTS!

Just my 2 cents on this issue!

JBJ

Lenovo T61 7665-12G(with the issue).

Blue Screen Again
strange_kiddo

Well, after almost 2 extra years of life after Lenovo's free replacement MB, the problems are starting up again. Graphics card is causing blue screens when I try to watch videos. Which is how I remember the original problem starting anyways. I bought a cooling pad after and was hoping it would solve the issue.

I actually blame nvidia for making the bad chips in the first place. Really, nvidia should be footing the bill, I feel Lenovo is as much the victim as we are.

I'm also peeved because I was hoping to get the Edge S430 this summer to replace my T61 and they decided not to sell it in the USA! Ugh.

:smileysad: 

Fanfold Paper
dsavard

Lenovo isn't a victim here. They cashed in the money. They would have been a victim if they had replaced all the boards without getting any compensation from nVidia, they didn't. So, please, don't tell me Lenovo is a victim.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Lenovo was a victim of the poor quality chips. They paid a lot of warranty claims, then had to destroy thousands of boards in manufacturing simply because they couldn't tell which had new vs old design due to nVidia not wanting to label new chips...  which in effect would prevent sales of the old ones. Lenovo then repaired thousands of these for free, spending what I believe was several times what nVidia gave them. There are many victims here, not just the consumers. In some countries they allow legal action against the store that sold the computers, even years after the warranty period is over. Imagine if you owned such a store and if you were lucky you earned $100 profit selling a computer 4 years ago, and now a court is making you pay several hundred dollars to the consumer. I'd say you were more of a victim then the consumer in that case. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for consumer protection, but when a legal system forces retailers to be responsible for the performance of a product they didn't produce, the end result will be that only the large retail businesses will survive, and they will have to vastly increase their prices in such a legal system, so the end result is the consumer has higher prices and less competition. The consumers lose, the retailers lose, only the lawyers win.

As previously stated, I'd like to see some reliable and affordable replacement boards for these models. If a company can make a complete working laptop for a few hundred dollars, surely a board can be manufactured for $100 or less so that we can fix these great machines. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
802.11n
eecon

Hi TuuS ..... Just wondering if you've had a chance to run any comparitive 3D benchmarks on your W510 vs your T61p yet?

Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

No, haven't compared the two systems directly, but I don't think it would be a fair comparison, but I have compared a discrete T500 and I find the T61p performs better, even when the T500 had a faster cpu. The T500 has the advantage of running a faster frontside bus speed so you can run faster processors, and the ddr3 ram it uses is much cheaper, but when it comes to graphics, it looks like it was a step backwards. The ATI graphics just doesn't seem to compare in my opinion.