Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
BIOS_momo

T61p overheating and going into standby

I've had my T61p for almost 4 years now and up to some months ago I never had any heat related problems, but then it started shutting down when playing games or working with CAD software. After some weeks (and probably the one or the other lenovo and windows software update) it only went into hibernation/standby .

Anyway - I tried cleaning the fan and surroundings by blowing the dust out w/o any effect. I use everest and Open Hardware Monitor to check my temps and found out that my "idle" CPU load was between 30 and 50% with a temp of around 85°C/185°F (idle meaning ive got my browser, outlook and foobar/vlc running). if i shut those programmes down the load and temp go down a bit but its nowhere near the temperature i used to have.

I then had a tech build in a new fan/heatsink unit since the machine is still in warranty and the powerdowns where gone for a week or two before they returned. By now I have built in a new hdd and migrated from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit but the powerdowns continue.

Since I've been looking for help on several forums I have read that many ppl complain about their fan noise and their fans running too fast etc. but I would go as far as do the opposite since I've got the feeling my fan doesn't really do its job.

It runs at around 3100rpm which is fine if the temp is already low and you want your PC to be silent but in my opinion it should turn a notch up if the temp is between 80 and 90°C.

The fan in fact does run faster for a few seconds but only after a temp peak (eg. shutting down a programme after the CPU temp goes over 95°C) and only in one out of ten times.

Now, before trying to play around with TPFanControl, I'd like to know whether there is anything that could help me getting the temp under control since it's really annoying to have those powerdowns several times a day even w/o running anything demanding.

Some ppl already suggested that it could be the more recent versions of lenovos power manager because they change your settings/profiles so maybe I could go back to an older version?

I don't really want to underclock my CPU so if there is anything else you could help me with I'd be grateful.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: T61p overheating and going into standby

have you tried to clean the heatsink and fan?

Also, you could try to repaste the CPU with thermal paste.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
BIOS_momo

yes I have, also the new fan and heatsink are merely 2 months old so I dont think I need new thermo paste. I watched the technician build in the fan/heatsink unit and he removed all the protective plastic bits so it should provide optimal heat transfer.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

try to refit the heatsink, sometimes they are not installed properly.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft