Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
zf
Fanfold Paper
zf

T61p resolution modes limited after update graphic driver

[ Edited ]

This is the first place I ask for help after searching solutions on Google without success.

System is 14" T61p, WinXP, graphic card is FX570M, I sometimes play quite old games, which run in low resolution modes like 800*600 or even 640*480(well, I am an old person...). it worked fine before I updated the latest driver (version 6.14.11.7874) few days ago, then I got several problems.

When I run game StarCraft, the game screen will appear only on upper left corner, like a quarter of the whole screen, and the cursor moves in that range as well, the rest of the screen is black. I looked up the Blizzard tech forum, it says select 640*480 display mode. I followed the steps: display properties -> advaced -> adapter -> list all modes -> select 640*480, then the entire screen goes black for few second and back to 1400*1050 like nothing happened.

Another game Diablo2 failed to launch due to DirectDraw error.

I am not dressing the problem with particular games, but they all point to the display issue. As everything worked fine before I update FX570M driver. It seems new driver no longer support 640 by 480 mode(any point from Nvidia?). I wonder someone can help me before I roll back the driver.

802.11n
AGoodSolution

Re: T61p resolution modes limited after update graphic driver

Trying to diagnose drivers can become a black hole waste of time.

An alternative if you haven't already tried is using a legacy virtual machine then setting the VM into full screen.

I play StarCraft  and Rainbow6 on a Windows98 VM and avoid compability issues with hardware regardless of the system whether it is a desktop or notebook

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
Token Ring

All of my problems went away with the FX570M driver I got off Windows Update on 9/24. 

It gave me driver version 8.16.11.8694. All my directX problems went away.

zf
Fanfold Paper
zf

thanks for your advise AGoodSolution, but I think roll back graphic driver is easier than getting a VM.

zf
Fanfold Paper
zf

SouthPaw, is that a graphic driver version? I didn't find any begin with 8. What system are you using?

Token Ring

Windows 7 Pro Gold. T61P 15.4"

zf
Fanfold Paper
zf

win 7... OK, maybe not everyone can catch Microsoft that quick. Anyway, I finally figured out a way to solve this problem:

go to Nvidia control panel -> manage costom resolutions -> creat a new resolution -> define pixels dimentions(e.g. 640x480) -> test it -> save profile. Now enjoy old games :smileyhappy: