Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
AleHop
Accepted Solution

T61p shuts down when in sleep mode

Hi,

I've been searching the web for the last few weeks with no luck. I even called Lenovo Tech. Support for a solution but they are telling me to update drivers, run Pc Doctor and some other silly things like that. The issue appeared after I sent my laptop for service and they replaced the main board, which had been working flawlessly until it got bricked after a BIOS update (do it carefully!).

When I leave my T61p in sleep mode for a while it shuts down and it appears like bricked. No lights, no response to any button/key... even if you plug in the electric cord. Fortunately I found somewhere that if you remove the battery and then plug in the electric cable it turns on the led on the cover and you can make it work. You get the message that the computer wasn't shut down properly and you lose all your work but at least you can start working again. But if you don't have the cable at that moment then you are in trouble.

Firstly I thought it was the battery level getting too low while in sleep mode but I checked many times it was over 40% and it's happened at 70% a few times.Then I thought it could be the battery but Lenovo sent me a new one and nothing changed. I'm pretty sure it's not Vista because it never happened with my first board. Even that I reinstalled Vista completely and nothing changed. I've tried with nearly every compatible BIOS and drivers. I feel alone with this problem and nobody seems to be able to help me.

I need to solve that problem, it only happened after Lenovo changed the main board and now my laptop doesn't work properly. I didn't pay with defective money so I expect a solution before the warranty runs out. This is not what you want when you buy one of the most expensive laptops in the world.

Lenovo Thinkpad T61p 8891-CTO, 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb 7200 rpm Hdd, Nvidia Quadro 570M 128 Mb, 1 Gb Intel Turbo Memory, 14.1 inch standard LCD, bluetooth, SMART card reader, Intel agn wireless... Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits, latest BIOS and drivers.

Lenovo Thinkpad W500 4062-2XG (+2Gb RAM from Lenovo)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bits
No external monitors. No conflicting software.
Latest BIOS and drivers.
community supermod
erik

Re: T61p shuts down when in sleep mode

it sounds like there could be a problem with hibernation.   vista configurations are set to hibernate after a specified duration of sleep.   if you have a problem with your memory then hibernation will break.

i'd suggest testing your memory using something like memtest86+.   if your memory checks out then you can disable hibernation, although that won't solve your problem if you want to hibernate your system.

did your previous system work with hibernation?

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
AleHop

Hibernation works fine, it's always been like that. I never had a problem with Hibernation. Vista hibernates after 1080 minutes in Sleep mode, it has nothing to do with my problem.

Yesterday I installed Windows XP and I had the same problem with Sleep mode. I've just run memtest86+ and didn't find any errors. Tech. Support told me they would ring me yesterday but they've left me alone one more time. Fantastic!

My Thinkpad was working faultlessly until I sent it to Lenovo for service. Great!

A solution or my money back. Deal?

Latest BIOS and drivers.
Serial Port
AleHop

Tech. Support told me to send my laptop to them after too much of my time wasted. They were trying to make me install the Thinkpad Power Manager software and driver once again. They even said it was normal if your laptop shuts down after a few minutes or hours in sleep mode which is completely stupid unless the battery drained off and that's not the case.

And what's more important, my laptop was working faultlessly until I sent it to them for service. Then they changed the main board but they broke my LCD screen and caused the problem with Sleep mode. So I had to send it back, they changed the LCD with a 2005 HT14P12-100 when I had bought it in 2008 but they did nothing about the Sleep problem. And they want me to swallow that?

Ok, they'll collect it on Monday or Tuesday because I told them I was fed up and I didn't want it like that. I don't expect they'll solve the problem but I don't want it back until my Thinkpad works like it used to do before they put their hands on it.

Latest BIOS and drivers.
Paper Tape
ebsims

I have a T61P and I am experiencing the same problem.  It just started about 2 weeks ago and suspect it must have to do with something I loaded on my computer, but I don't know what.  When I reboot, a message keeps coming up 'power manager stopped working'.  I have deleted the power manager software and reinstalled it completely with no help.  Also, just yesterday my bule thinkvantage button stopped working.  I can access thinkvantage from the program menu though.  If I find a solution, I will let you know.
Serial Port
AleHop

I sent my Thinkpad one more time and someone robbed the delivery truck with my computer inside. They had to give another one and I picked a W500.

Perfect solution!

Latest BIOS and drivers.