Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
styan
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad T61 and some of its minor problems ?

I just bought a T61 and it is an awesome machine ! But I have some problems which I am unable to solve:

1) Unable to send a fax. says "No dial tone" then "No answer" (which is not true as the number is a public all time running fax number).

2) Unable to reach and print on a network printer. says "the print spooler service is not running" !

3) unable to recharge my SKYPE account. says payment "failed" without giving any valid reason and although i tried using my Visa, my Mastercard, my Bank account number. 14 tries and All to no avail !

I am suspecting something interfering in my computer, rather than anything else. Can I anyone help ? I would really appreciate cause I am lost and don't know what to do ! Tks.

styan

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: Thinkpad T61 and some of its minor problems ?

These sound like software issues to me. The problem with skype you'd need to contact their support to resolve. The printer problem (should be) just a matter of installing the printer. The fax problem could be a problem with the modem, but just to make sure we aren't overlooking something really silly, you did connect a telephone line to the modem port?  I only ask because there are fax services that work over the internet, but you're obviously trying to use one that works with a legacy phone line, or you wouldn't be getting the "no dial tone" message.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
styan

Hello TuuS and thanks for your kind help.

SKYPE: contact them ? where ? with 25,486,404 subscribers now online, I just wonder whether they would ever reply to me ! Skype is awesome but their customer support stinks. No "contact us" knob, no telephone number, nothing I could find !

PRINTER: I am able to see the printer I want to connect to on Start\settings\Printers and Faxes screen and it says under status "opening" then it turns into "unable to connect" !

FAX: Yes I am connected to a telephone line. At first, I was getting "no dial tone" then I went to Start\settings\control panel\phone and modem\modems\properties\modem and unticked "Wait for dial tone before dialling" and now I am hearing the modem dialling but it says "No answer" and the fax does not pass !

Hope you can help. Thanks again.

Blue Screen Again
styan

further my note a while ago:

Printer: also when clicking on the printer properties for the printer I want to reach, it says:

"Printer properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running"

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I'm not sure if I can help you enable the spoller service manually over a forum post, but installing the printer from it's setup discs should do this. However, if you just got this laptop and it is having these problems, you might want to restore it to factory defaults by using the restore partition on the harddrive, or restore discs if you have them.

As for the modem, are you using a traditional phone line?  not a voice over IP system?  

As for skype, I'm sure you can find help in spending money buying their minutes. I've never tried, but if you're able to use skype, but unable to purchase minutes online, then this surely doesn't sound like a problem with your computer.

ps. for the printer, if you don't have the setup disc, go to the manufacturers website and download the installation software. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
styan

thanks for yr response.

For the printer: yes i do have a recovery disc. what shall I ask for or try to reinstall ? I don't want by any means to restore to factory defaults cause I already loaded my programs and documents and the laptop is doing fine except those refinements.

For the modem: Yes I am using a traditional phone line.

For Skype: Yes I am using regularly Skype and have recharged my account several times in the past. I encountered this problem when shifted to this new computer and that is why i have been suspecting a software issue with this computer ! 

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Fixing software configuration problems isn't easy sometimes, even if I was sitting in front of your computer. Additionally, if it was within warranty and you sent it in with a software problem, they would simply re-image your harddrive, they wouldn't actually fix corrupt files, or bad configuration settings. Even most retail repair shops don't do that, it's so much easier to reload everything.

If you want to track it down, then it's going to require a lot of learning. I suggested doing a factory reset because you said you just got this laptop, and doing the reset should erase any software errors, so anything remaining that doesn't work would probably be hardware.

I'd consider doing it, you can always reinstall your programs, and as it is now, you have no idea what has been done to it in the past that caused any of this.

As for the printer, I still think it's only a matter of installing it, and I think the sype issue isn't related to your computer at all, perhaps a technical glitch on their end, but I could be wrong.