Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JLLBVS

Thinkpad T61p OS and HDD upgrade - Advices needed

Hi everybody,

I will upgrade the 160 GB HDD of my T61p (6460-D8G) and install a 500 or 750 GB new HDD.

I have no problems for the HDD remplacement.

Of course, I will replace the Windows XP SP3 with a Windows 7 OS. I will install all Thinkpad Win 7 softwares and drivers.

Here is my question : do you know if I simply have to buy a current 64 bits-Win-7 version, and, after installation, download all drivers on the Lenovo website, or could it be possible to buy some "original" Lenovo Win 7 cd-rom version, with the Rescue and Recovery software, and (maybe) drivers ?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis L.
Thinkpad A31p - T42p - T61p - TP Tablet
ajkula66
Kudos: 758
Solutions: 801

Re: Thinkpad T61p OS and HDD upgrade - Advices needed

Since the T61/p generation was never shipped with W7 from factory, there's no recovery media for the OS in question.

Do a clean install, then have fun with all the updates...:smileyvery-happy:

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Serial Port
JLLBVS

Hi,

many thanks for your answer.

Now, I know that I have to do a complete installation.

When you write "a clean install", I'll figure it as follows :

1°) Buy a complete Microsoft Windows 7 pack with all cd-rom and/od dvd.

2°) Buy a new 500 or 750 GB 7200 rpm hard disk. (I've read somewhere that a 500 GB was preferable to a 750 GB in the 7200 rpm range. I don't know why, maybe a power question. Any advice ?)

3°) Replace the existing 160GB HDD with the new 500/750 GB HDD.

4°) After modifying the boot sequence (1 = CD/DVD - 2 = HDD) start with the Windows 7 DVD in the cd-dvd drive.

5°) Start install, wait and pray...

Is it correct, or is there another special procedure ?

And if something else exists, where could I find the step by step procedure ?

Regards,

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis L.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

I've done this many times, it's fairly straightforward. Some points to consider...

1. I know of no reason to prefer the 500gb over 750gb. Perhaps if you were trying to clone your original drive, but the advanced format used on all 750 will be fine with windows vista or seven.

2. You can save a huge chunk of change by using Vista instead of seven. I personally believe Vista is under rated, and when fully updated is compareable with Seven and a used copy can be had for about $30. Just something to consider.

3. Install from windows setup disc. If you use only wifi to connect, have the drivers handy just in case. Windows usually works with all T61 wifi cards but if it doesn't, you'll need the drivers to get online for updates. Once installed, get lenovo system update and let it run, select the new drivers and whatever other lenovo products you want. I usually avoid most of the bloatware and get only what I actually use.

4. The richoa 5in1 card reader won't work on Seven, but a simple solution is to get the vista drivers, extract them but don't run the install, as it will fail. The go into device manager and you'll have 3 "base devices" that have no drivers. Install them manually buy directing windows to look in the folder where you extracted the drivers. One of the three may need you to point directly to the 64bit folder if your windows seven is 64bit. 

5. (optional) have a cold 6pack waiting

6. call me when done so I can stop by and help*

*by help I mean if you can't finish the whole 6pack by yourself of course  :smileytongue:

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 370
Solutions: 145

Hello,

After Microsoft Windows 7 is finished installing, I would recommend connecting the ThinkPad T61p to the Internet from behind a router (for security purposes) and then begin downloading all of the various updates that have come out since the Windows 7 installation DVD was made.  Several reboots may be required.

When finished, I would suggest running Lenovo's ThinkVantage System Update in order to download and install any missing ThinkPad-specific software and drivers from Lenovo.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Bit Torrent
TuuS

goretsky wrote:

Hello,

After Microsoft Windows 7 is finished installing, I would recommend connecting the ThinkPad T61p to the Internet from behind a router (for security purposes) and then begin downloading all of the various updates that have come out since the Windows 7 installation DVD was made.  Several reboots may be required.

When finished, I would suggest running Lenovo's ThinkVantage System Update in order to download and install any missing ThinkPad-specific software and drivers from Lenovo.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh, 

This is just a matter of opinion on which is best, but in my opinion, I strongly recommend avoiding microsoft update until you've installed all the Lenove updates first. I always go directly to system update app and let it install. It includes all critical windows updates and all the latest lenovo certified drivers.

Here is why...   if you install windows on a T61p from a basic setup disc with no additional driver packs, it will install generic VGA video drivers. If you then go to Windows update, it will give you the option of installing what it thinks are the best nVidia drivers, but they aren't the ones approved by Lenovo and have caused problems for some users. I suspect windows update doesn't understand exactly what you have, it just sees the nVidia chip and gets the latest nVidia drivers with no regard for making sure they are approved by lenovo.

I also strongly recommend you not let windows update install anything until you've read what it is. They have had some really bad updates in the past and have caused many users a lot of grief. One such update was "Windows Genuine Advantage", which claimed to be designed to "help" you determine if you were scammed into buying counterfiet windows operating system, however instead of working towards your satisfaction to convince you that your product is genuine, it forces you to prove to microsoft that it's genuien and originally would stop you from using your computer for anything other then paying them money. If you know your windows is legitmate, you surely don't need such spyware installed my microsoft. There are alos many updates that just don't apply to many people, such as (for example) and update for microsoft word to handle legacy wordperfect 5.1 documents correctly. If you don't use such documents, or don't even use microsoft word, then you don't need the update and it will only waste time and disc space to install it. I never add updates for products I don't have and don't use. Another example would be (for example), and update for Intel pro wifi cards to fix a bug with certain dlink routers. If you don't use dlink, then you don't need the update. some time in the future when they release and update that you do need, all previous patches will be included, so there is no sense in making small meaningless edits to your system that are unnecessary. 

I can't begin to count the times I've seen new "latest" drivers causing systems to be unstable, nor how many times I've seen people who have a problem just start to install updates hoping they will stumble on a fix, but what they are actually doing is burying any trace of finding the actual problem under massive amounts of changes and registry edits. By the time the systems get to me, the only thing I can do is wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system, because undoing everything that was done so I can fix it properly is just way to much work. 

Getting off topic here, so the point I'm trying to make is use caution when installing updates. The Lenovo System update app is pretty good, and should get you all the drivers you need. Then if you want to update windows further, preceed with caution.

This is my opinion, other opinions may differ, so consider all, and make your own decision.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Serial Port
JLLBVS

Many sincere thanks for all these recommendations. It is a great help.

Now, I'll have to buy the Win 7 version, and of course the HDD. 

The (too small) 160GB I have on the T61p is a Hitachi, but I will probably buy a Seagate Momentus 750GB  (STBD750200), because I already use and appreciate their products.

Within a few weeks, I intend to buy a W701 (I absolutely need a 17" screen, and the same 1920x1200 definition as my T61p). I thought first to buy a new W520, but it has a 15.6" screen and only one HDD.

I found a refurbished W701, with a 320GB HDD, and the 2nd HDD empty, and french keyboard, OS and power supply.

If I buy it, I will replace the 320GB by a 750GB, and add a second one. It means three 750GB HDD !! Not so far from a bulk purchase ;>))

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Jean-Louis L.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

My advice would be to add an SSD as a boot drive, but get a good one like an Intel 320 series. Many of the cheaper ones tend to fail. If you're on a budget, you can save about $100 by using Vista instead of Seven, it's about the same in regards to performance and stability. You can also use a 5400rpm drive in the ultrabay for storage. Since it won't be running your OS, the slower spindle speed can be an advantage, less power, heat and spinup time, and won't make much difference in performance since your OS will be running on SSD.

If you don't want to use an SSD, you can install some Intel turbo memory. It's not popular because it was expensive and didn't make a lot of noticeable difference, but you can buy them cheap now, about $12 for a 1GB chip and it prevents repeated disc reads on your primary drive by storing the data on much faster static ram.

My favorite config is definitely an SSD with second drive in ultrabay, along with a nice Penryn CPU. These systems can really fly when setup well.