Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
g3xtrem

Thinkpad T61p can't wake up after hibernating /sleep on both Xp and Vista

Whenever my laptop goes into hibernation and sometimes during sleep, it is non reponsive when I try to wake it up. This happens on both Vista Ultimate and XP Professional. What's the solution to this problem? Is it a planar problem?

Thanks.
What's DOS?
dfarrell

Re: Thinkpad T61p can't wake up after hibernating /sleep on both Xp and Vista

I have the exact same trouble, its crazy frustrating. I'm running a T61p with vista ultimate sp1. It has been doing this sense I got it and before sp1 came out. It’s like it is stuck somewhere between sleep mode and actually working. It is not fully in either, just glitched somewhere in between.
Paper Tape
Mladen

[ Edited ]
This is one of my problems with my T61 as well. It is awful - every time I close my laptop I start wondering whether it will wake up after that or I will have to restart it...

I talked to lenovo support couple of times, downloaded and updated all possible updates and even had the motherboard changed after it froze while updating the BIOS (do not update the BIOS at all!). However, it still has the same problem - sometimes it does not wake up, soemtimes if looks like it has waken up but there is nothing on the screen, sometimes it does not want to hibernate... Few hours ago it froze while trying to go to stand by... Actually, I just entered the lenovo website in the search of their return policy and accidentally found this forum... If there is a way, I would be more than happy to return this laptop and buy another one...not lenovo...

So, I am hoping that someone will help us here...

Message Edited by Mladen on 06-10-2008 12:16 PM
What's DOS?
rolson3786

Just wondering if you are trying to bring your laptops out of sleep or hypernation using the power button.
The power button will either turn off your computer or cause it to lock up.
The Fn key in the lower left of the keyboard will bring your computer out of sleep or hypernation.

If you do not want your computer to sleep or Hypernate, you can change the power setting in the control panel.
I change my settings for when I am plugged in only - you can also change what happens when you press certain buttons.
Paper Tape
Mladen

Yes, I know about these option and have expermented a bit with them - currently I have the following setup as it is most convenient for me:
- close lid - stand by
- open lid - wake up

Sometimes, I open the lid, the sleeping indicator (the one looking like a moon, the one most right) goes off, the indicator that the machine is working (the one like a circle with a twisted Z inside) goes on but nothing appears on the screen.... the only option in such cases is restart (hold down the on/off button).

Mladen
Punch Card
g3xtrem

Yea I have my setting to wake up when I lift up the lid. I've not tried the Fn method, i read pressing Fn + F7 might work, I will try that later to see if it works in my situation. I've called lenovo support and is having my laptop sent in so we'll see what happens.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
alpenglow

My T61 has the same problem.\
I have returned it to be repair twice in one month.

BUT they did not fix the problem at all.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
alpenglow

Disappointed at the quality of repair.

Four times repairation, just for one same problem. 

No problems were fixed at all.

I would never trust Lenovo.

Paper Tape
Mladen

that's not good...

I haven't experienced the problem with not being able to wake up my laptop in the last several weeks.

What I did - I turned off  the screensaver (set to "none"). Every time the problem appeared, I had the feeling that for some reasons the screen saver has started/tried to start after I had put the laptop to sleep. Later, when I was trying to wake it up, it just colud not turn off the screen saver. Most probably, I am wrong but still does not hurt to try my method :smileyhappy:.

another interesting problem - I cannot hibernate my laptop if there is a network cable pluged in. If I try ti hibernate it, it starts immediately again. This is strange as welll :smileyhappy:)

Good luck,

Mladen

Paper Tape
kkaland

I get the same problem. I will try the suggestions that have been given here, namely using the Fn button to wake it up, the Fn + F7 combination, and disabling the screen saver (I'll just have the power options flat out turn off the screen, so that I don't burn it out).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Kevin