Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ppahv

USB ports don't work

Hi,

I've got a strange problem with my "T60 Type 2007".

In fact, USB flash drives and external drives refuse to mount.

On Windows XP, when I plug a USB flash drive, I've got immediately a BSOD saying "Hardware malfunction" and "NMI : Parity Check / Memory Parity Error"", but when I try with Ubuntu, I've no errors but the USB flash drive is not detected.

Consequently, I tried to see if USB was activated into the BIOS, but it was already activated.

Then, I flashed the BIOS with the latest version, as proposed into the FAQ, but I had no improvements.

Finally, I replaced the RAM... and it failed again.

I'm just stuck and I have no ideas about how to resolve the problem :smileysad:

Can you help me ?

Thank you in advance for your answers :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
ppahv

Re: USB ports don't work

Anyone ? :smileysad:

What's DOS?
danielsl

Having exactly the same problem on a T60 from 2007 with XP SP3.

Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. I have the feeling that the crucial point was when I plugged in a Western Digital SES Passport Devices (or something similar) which had some strange smartware on it. Now I cannot use any USB storage devices anymore because the mentioned blue screen appears immediately after plugging in external drives or flash storage.

I tried to uninstall non-needed USB devices in device manager (by making it show everything, even not connected devices). "WD SES Device USB Device" was amsongst them, but it did not help. I would like to reinstall the driver usbstor.inc/sys/pnf, but I seem to have no luck with that. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Daniel

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I believe there is a known condition with some models where broken solder connections under one of the chips can cause usb to stop functioning properly. I'm not an expert on this model so I don't want to speculate on exactly where the fault is, but if this is correct, then it can be repaired (reflowed), but a used system board might be a cheaper repair. However before you assume this is hardware, I'd try either a fresh windows installation, or boot from a linux liveCD and see if the usb ports work properly. This will potentially rule out a software problem. If it works properly on a different operating system, then you can be pretty sure it's a software problem. If you get the same results, then you can be pretty sure you need a system board repair or replacement.

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
What's DOS?
danielsl

Still stuck with the problem. I tried a with linux live CD meanwhile and everything works fine. USB storage is mounted and can be accessed. Because of that and also because all USB devices other than storage work fine in XP I am pretty sure that it is not a hardware issue. Is there a way to completely reinstall the USB storage drivers in XP?
Bit Torrent
TuuS

You can remove the devices from device manager, windows should then detect them and reinstall them, but this alone may not fix the problem. Reinstalling windows would be the easy fix, but it doesn't hurt to try the drivers first.

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Punch Card
Doug_in_NNY

I experienced USB port identification problems on a T61 that I bought in 2008.  Lenovo replaced the motherboard and it still occurred sporadically.  I found a collection of INF files that I kept in a subdirectory on the HD for the purpose of facilitating recognition of unfamiliar USB devices when I first connected them to the computer.  That worked for most thumb drives.

I then upgraded to Win 7 Pro 32 and that solved the problem.  No more flaky USB recognitions.

With my computer the problems occurred with XP and were corrected by Win7.

SCSI Port
ervink

I just cured this issue on my T40.

For a long time i was chasing USB issues, connect/disconnect, failure to recognize USB device, this device can preform faster on USB 2.0 port, etc, etc, etc....

I tried reinstalling drivers, Bios updates, googled answrs for over a year.

What i found is the T4x & T6x Thinkpads have an issue with the southbridge chip, the solder is thin and over the years the heat makes the solder brittle and it cracks giving you a connection between the chip & the Motherboard, but not a solid one.

The only solution is to get the MOBO reflowed, or reballed. reflowed they heat the connection and reflow the solder. Reballed is where they resolder the chip with new tiny balls of solder.

I replaced my T40 MOBO with a reballed one, $60 comes with a 90 day warranty.

I also upgraded my processor, maxed out the RAM, installed a new Long fan, installed a bluetooth daughter card & antenna, and upgraded  the wifi card to wireless G from wireless B.

Works great, works fast, and no more USB problems

Lenovo A1-07, T40 Thinkpad, T400 Thinkpad, iPhone 4s
Bit Torrent
TuuS

This problem is a result of "flexing", which doesn't generally effect the T6x series. If anyone has a T4x or T5x system with this problem they should talk to Dom at theboardroom.info. They have some very inexpensive boards for these systems that have been reballed.

Token Ring
parmardilan

there is a usb piece that you connect to the mobo or something like that and it should fix everything it is broken on urs just get a new one pulg it in and ROCK
ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio