Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
t61_owner

Re: Ultrabay Battery is used first and drains to ZERO

@stealthth:  A user-defined threshold on the battery is the minimum.  The user should be able to define a threshold for each battery and their order of usage.

@mades:  You're doing better than me.  I'm at less than 40% capacity.  If you don't already know, your battery comes with a one year warranty.

Paper Tape
mades

I can ask for replacement of a battery if it is within the warranty period and "works as designed" ?
Serial Port
t61_owner

I had my battery replaced under warranty.  The laptop may "work as designed", but your battery isn't working as designed.

Perhaps if more people claim battery replacement under warranty, Lenovo may change their "design".

Paper Tape
mades

[ Edited ]
It would be good to keep this thread on the first page not to forget this issue. Can someone else here show the stats of the ultrabay battery after several (hundred) cycle counts?
Message Edited by mades on 02-02-2009 06:25 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ruckb

HI, I guess I can deliver some information on my akku which is heavily used (but have currently another problem and need my Ultrabay for a Hard disk).

But I basically have the need for a switch from Ultrabay akku to main akku for another reason. 

I work a lot offline and have three batteries. The ultrabay, a large and a normal main battery. Now I have the large Battery and the Ultrabay installed. After the ultrabay is emty the large main accu is used. Once this is empty I would like to set the Laptop to S3 and replace the main battery ... but as both batteries are empty now I have to set the system in hibernation mode for exchanging the main battery ... this is annoying!

regards

Hermann

Serial Port
t61_owner

It would help if someone with a large deployment of Thinkpads using Ultrabay batteries would chime in to lend some weight to this issue.  Again, users of Ultrabay batteries may not be aware of this issue.

I can't imagine it's that difficult for Lenovo to provide the features of individual thresholds for each battery and battery priority.

Paper Tape
mades

t61_owner: I will try to have the battery replaced as soon as it drops below 60% in the first year of usage. Are there any warranty rules, as what will be accepted regarding the battery capacity drop and what not?
Serial Port
t61_owner

I am not privy to the criteria Lenovo follows.  I am only speaking from personal experience.

When I noticed the Ultrabay battery was draining from 100% to ~60% smoothly and then abruptly drops to zero, I did some investigating.  When I figured it was the complete drain that was killing the battery, I called Lenovo thinking it was something wrong with the laptop.  I was told it was suppose to work that way but they'd replace the battery. 

Serial Port
t61_owner

If we can't change the sequence, can we at least have specify a threshold?
HDMI
dragon-fly

Has there been any development of a possible software to fix this issue?

i am considering purchasing a lenovo T400.

i have read about keyboard flex issues, and the thinklight issues.

i have also seen various reports of battery life, aproximating 4 hours, 5 hours in some cases.

my friend has a Dell latitude 5400, he gets almost 8 hours on his 6 cell, which i find very impressive. However, i would not want to purchase a Dell.

Battery life is very important to me, so i also looked at the ultrabay battery option, but this is a VERY Big issue for me. if it will just discharge to 0% before going to the main, it is basically going to be useless to me. but i also find that 4 hours is not much, since that is what i am getting out of my old laptop.

Basically this is possibly a make or break deal for me. i Do not want a dell, i'd be looking at the lenovo t400 with 1440x900 resolution, LED Backlit and the 25W TDP Processors, possibly with the 3470 which is switchable. i'd expect that for 1400$, i'd atleast have more control over the laptop than none at all.

Dell does it by discharging both batteries at the same time, which is actually the smartest option, because that way both batteries get even use and battery life is extended even more than when drained one after the other, because there is less current being drawn from both batteries, thus less heat and resistance is encountered, thus more battery life. But since it appears the design is to drain them one after the other, the bare minimum would be a cut off level, which as far as i can see does not exist.