Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Tobbe
Accepted Solution

Upgrade T61p with SSD

I have a Thinkpad T61p Type 6460 - EEG T9300 and I want to upgrade my HD to a SSD Intel 320 - 300GB disk, and Windows 7.  What is the procedure so I do not get trouble?

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 733

Re: Upgrade T61p with SSD

Welcome to the forum!

Install the SSD the same way you'd install a conventional hard drive.

Load Windows 7 - then updates - then go to Lenovo's site and download System Update.

Add the desired utilities.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

This is probably just personal preferrence, but I prefer to run the lenovo system update before installing any windows updates. The reason is a newly installed windows version may not have drivers for all your hardware, windows update will see this and will try to install the best one's it feels match your hardware. I've seen this cause problems so I always run lenovo system update first, verify all the drivers for your hardware are working, then let windows update apply anything it recommends after I look at each update to confirm it's really something I want installed.

One specific issue that applies to the T61p is the nVidia drivers. If you install the latest version released by nVidia you're likely to have a problem, you need to first install the drivers authorized by Lenovo, then if you want to get the most performance from your graphics system you can update to a newer version (at your own risk). 

read more here: nVidia Drivers

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
What's DOS?
phearns

I just did this with exactly the spec you ahve the T61p 6460 and the Intel 320GB SSD.

As said, I followed what has been outlined here and all went fine. The only thing that did not seem to want to install was the Rescue adn Recovery, which I presumed was because it did not find the recovery partition and did not recognise the SSD properly.

But apart from that, I can't complain and all seems to be well with Windows 7n 64 bit Ultimate.

P

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Glad it worked out. I'm not really sure about using rescue and recovery on an install like this, I prefer to use my own solutions to recovering. One thing I always do when I setup a system is install a backup windows installation, then if I ever have a serious problem instead of stopping everying I'm doing and rushing ot fix it, or looking for another computer to use, I just restart and load the other windows installation and continue my work, then when I have the time I fix whatever went wrong. I think this is a far better use of disc space then to have a partition that does nothing but store outdated software. The recovery partition was a good idea for the first couple years, but after that it's time for it to go. It would be nice if Lenovo made updates that would put all the latest drivers and windows service packs into the recovery partition, but the only way you can do that is to do complete system backups which use up even more disc space and cannot be applied to factory restore option.

Let us know how you like the performance of the SSD drive.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Punch Card
Tobbe

Thank you for the answers. They were very informative. I will certainly tell you about the results and improvements when the task are implemented. However one more question : I have read somewere that upgrading the Bios is necessary ! Is that true and if so, how to do it in the most correct way?

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Tobbe wrote:

Thank you for the answers. They were very informative. I will certainly tell you about the results and improvements when the task are implemented. However one more question : I have read somewere that upgrading the Bios is necessary ! Is that true and if so, how to do it in the most correct way?

changing your bios is necessary only if you want to use the full SATA2 support your onboard controller offers. Lenovo has it switcheed off in the bios but a russian engineer that goes by the name "middleton" has solved this problem. His bios is freely distrubuted and has been used by thousands, including myself. However, as with all bios updates it must be done on a stable computer, if the process fails for any reason and you're left with no bios, or an incomplete one, then your system board will be useless. I usually recommend flashing the bios before you begin an upgrade, but since you're considering it afterwards, I'd strongly caution you to use the system for a couple weeks and make sure it's not prone to crash, or undergo thermal shutdown, bluescreen of death, etc...     

Also to undate from within windows you'll need a 32bit version of windows. You can update from a boot disc (cdrom), but I've seen read errors on the disc/drive cause problems and there was no way to stop the process, all I could do was watch as it continued over and over again to re-read the disc and finally told me the flash had completed, but left me with a computer that was completely worthless. I later determined the optical drive was bad on that computer, but it seemed to work fine, even used it to burn the disc and verify the burn. 

As a result, I will never update with a boot disc again. I keep a spare harddrive with 32bit Vista installed that I use if I need to update a system that cannot run the update utility.

If you want the middleton bios, you can find it with a search on google, or I'd be glad to send you the link privately.

Punch Card
Tobbe

So all in all, I have not yet made ​​the upgrade my system is still the old with Windows XP Pro, I have no immediate benefit from updating the BIOS when upgrading to the new system?

What's DOS?
phearns

I did the BIOS upgrade after installing Windows 7 on the SSD drive, so therefore it does not seem to be 100% necessary to move the Win7 on an SSD.

That said, why wouldn't you upgrade to the latest BIOS anyway?

P

Punch Card
Tobbe

I am a bit confused: "middleton" device is that a physical Bios unite ? What I meant with Bios Update was a software update, not changing the fysikal Bios on the motherboard ?