Upgrading the LCD in a T61p

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎12-29-2010 by
Modified ‎12-29-2010 by
(760 Views)

Upgrading the LCD in a T61p

Question

The display of my T61p has a big crack in one corner and I would like to replace it.

My T61p is model 64578LU which means that the display is a  15.4" TFT 1680 x 1050 resolution ( WSXGA+ ).

I know that there are other T61p models which come with a display of higher resolution (15.4" TFT with 1920x1200 (WUXGA)) with the same graphics card.

Would it be possible for me to purchase the higher resolution screen as a replacement and use it in my T61p model? Or are there any connection (cable) issues that would prevent the higher-res screen from working?

Answer

The location of the LCD cable connector can vary on some models of ThinkPad - for example, the X tablet series systems have LCDs which locate the signal connector + / - an inch. Because of this, some systems have a longer LCD cable and some have a shorter one. Not all LCD cables & panels will interchange.

In this specific case for the T61p, the WUXGA (1920X1600) uses the same cable, inverter, etc. as the existing screen (WSXGA+) and so the LCD can be swapped as an upgrade.

Contributors