Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
jbautista

Video freezes temporarily when laptop shakes

When watching videos on my lenovo thinkpad t61, the video freezes temporarily if the laptop shakes (i.e. if I am on a bumpy train). Usually the audio continues when the video stops, and then the video will "catch up" such that the video and audio will be in sync.

I assume that this is a natural problem - that there is a temporarily pause when the laptop shakes - but I am wondering if this is an especially bad problem with lenovos? Also, is there a term for this, so that when I buy a new laptop, I can know whether the new laptop is particularly susceptible to this problem?

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 223

Re: Video freezes temporarily when laptop shakes

[ Edited ]

It's Lenovo's Active Protection system. It's the airbag protection. You can lower the sensitivity in control panel.  It will learn which vibrations are normal. It parks the head on the hard drive when it senses that it's going to fall.

There's actually a picture of a laptop when you open the program and the picture moves the way you move the laptop. If you shake it, the picture shakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izJTSYOgJzI

Here's a movie of it.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Punch Card
jbautista

That's cool that you were able to point me to that, thanks. For some reason, however, I'm unable to click or adjust any of the settings. All of the boxes/options and the "shock detection sensitivity" scroller are unchangeable. Any ideas why or how to fix this?

topmahof

[ Edited ]

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-53167.html

Here's an overview of the system, see if this helps.  If it doesn't, post back.

Are your settings grayed out?  

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Punch Card
jbautista

Thanks for the link. Yes - almost everything in the graphic under "properties and settings" is grayed out.

topmahof

Are you logged in as adminstrator when you bring up the options?

Punch Card
jbautista

Yes, I am. 

topmahof

What OS are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit? And what is the four digit  model of your laptop?

Dave