Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
erictoolson

Windows Vista 64 bit crcdisk.sys

Hi all -

Microsoft automatically downloaded some Vista upgrades to my T61, and now it won't boot.  Instead it goes into an infinite loop mode:  BSOD-->bootup options page-->BSOD-->bootup options page-etc.-etc.-etc..  Googling suggests that this is not an uncommon problem, with all sorts of laptop brands, and that the problem isn't with the HDD.  However, I didn't find anything specific to Lenovo laptops, so I thought I'd ask here.

Attempts to boot in Safe mode stop as it's trying to load crcdisk.sys.  I've not installed any new hardware/software/drivers/etc., so I really think the downloaded 'upgrades' somehow mucked things up. 

Booting with the WIndows Vista DVD & trying to repair any errors didn't work, but I was able to get to the System Restore page.  Is this my only option?  I've installed some software since my last complete system backup, and I'd prefer not to have to do the download/reinstall thing., but if this is the only way to get at the data I've created since my last backup (two weeks ago), well, that's what I'll do.  If it works... : )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Eric

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: Windows Vista 64 bit crcdisk.sys

This is something i found in another forum so all the credit to the original author if it will solve your poblem.

I just had this issue happen this morning and was able to at least get to safe mode. Here's what happened:

1.) This morning my Acer Aspire 5610Z was sitting there showing the green bar animation continuously. I hadn't manually updated anything, but have it set to auto-update at 3:00am.

2.) Safe mode didn't work, it kept getting stuck on crcdisk.sys.

3.) To fix it, I rebooting in Safe Mode. When it got stuck on crcdisk.sys, instead of powering down by holding power button for 4 secs, I pressed it once for a restart instead. The hard drive came back to life, and after some activity, it restarted.

4.) This time, following POST, I chose Safe Mode with Command Prompt, with the intention of renaming crcdisk.sys to see if Vista would restore it. As it turned out, it ended up continuing the boot and brought me to the update screen, saying that I was in "Stage 3 of 3" with some update, and was 10% complete!

5.) Apparently this was a mandatory Vista security upgrade that system consumed like normal, but something went haywire during the update process. Once I was back in Windows, I restarted the update and was able to successfully complete it, and my system is back to normal.

Could you give it a try and let us know if it works or not?

-gan

Paper Tape
erictoolson

Hi, Gan -

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, that 'trick' didn't work on my T61.  A short push of the Power button doesn't cause a restart, and I couldn't find any other keystroke that would do that.

Eric

gan

But you tried safe mode with command prompt without success?

-gan

Paper Tape
erictoolson

That's correct.  Safe Mode with Command Prompt behaves the same way as Safe Mode, and pressing the Power button for a second or so doesn't cause a restart.  For what it's worth, I can't detect any hint that the HDD is starting up at any time.

Eric

gan

The only solution i can think of to fix the problem in that case would be to boot from a Windows Vista DVD and try the recovery options or do a System Restore. If you have a pretty new system restore point it shouldn't be a problem to do a system restore i guess. Another option might be if you can access the HDD in a way and try to rename the file crcdisk.sys to see if that will make the computer boot normally again. There are tools like NTFS Dos that should be able to give you read/write access to the disk so you could try to rename the file. You could also take the HDD out of the computer and attach it to another computer to get access to the contents and be able to rename the file.

Sorry, but i don't have any other solution for this problem. Maybe someone else got some tips how to fix it in a easier way.

-gan

Paper Tape
erictoolson

Thanks so much, Gan.  I suspect that the System Restore is the only way to go...if it'll actually work (can you tell I'm feeling paranoid?).  I'll have to reinstall a few programs, but that's pretty minor.

Eric

gan

[ Edited ]

btw i did some more searching and some claim that crcdisk.sys is not actually the problem and that the problem is something that happen after the crcdisk.sys is loaded. Also i read some that solved this issue by removing other attached hardware during boot like USB stick/hdd. Do you have any such device attached?

Edit: I also read some that said checking the disk for error and fix it solved the problem. Like a "chkdsk /f" or using some 3part tool that can check the disk for errors and fix them (like from a bootable CD/DVD).

-gan

Paper Tape
erictoolson

No, nothing else attached.  I even removed the USB mouse dongle!