Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
rborland_mvp
Accepted Solution

Wireless adapter failing

My wireless network adapter keeps failing and the console light goes out.  Switching it on and off using Fn-F5 does nothing when it has failed.  It is re-enabled when I reboot but fails again after a variable time from minutes to days.  Windows XP and Lenovo are both fully updated.  I'd appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Rob

ThinkPad T61

CTO7658

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945AG Network Connection

Intel T9300

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Wireless adapter failing

[ Edited ]
  • Download the WLAN driver, if you cannot find the download package on your computer.
  • Download and install CCleaner
  • Remove the current installed WLAN-driver with controlpanel - Add/Remove Software.
  • Reboot
  • Run CCleaner, select "Registry", search for issues and fix then all after saving the entries to be fixed.
  • Reboot
  • Install the WLAN drivier
  • Run Controlpanel - System - Hardware - Devicemanager
  • Double-click the WLAN-device and select the "Power"-tab
  • Unmark "Computer can turn off device to save power"

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
rborland_mvp

Thanks for the quick response and helpful advice.

I don't see WLAN listed under Add/Remove Programs.  The only relevant entry I see there is Intel PROSET/Wireless Wifi Software.  Is this the same thing?

Searching for WLAN shows many directories and files, such as C:\drivers\WLAN.  Maybe these are installed by the Intel entry above?

Regards,

Rob

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Wlan means wireless local area network, which in your case is the Intel pro card, so that does sound the the correct drivers to uninstall.

I'm inclined to think that you have a thermal hardware failure, since you say it works for a while when first starting the system. If reinstalling the software doesn't fix it, then you may have a bad card, or even a bad system board. That is a common part (intel pro 3945ag), I have a few sitting on my desk, but it's a shame I'm half a world away...  but check if you can pick on up local to you, would be the easiest way to tell if yours is bad to just replace it.  A used one sells for about $5 here.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Token Ring
rborland_mvp

Thanks for following up on this.  I can't find 3945AG mentioned in the T61 HardwareMaintenanceManual.  Any pointers to how to go about replacing this part assuming I can locate it locally?

Rob

Guru
Mornsgrans

Token Ring
rborland_mvp

I am in Zimbabwe but I am meeting someone from New York City in Nairobi in two weeks time.  Is there any way we could discuss getting one of those parts off your disk to me that way?

Rob

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Sure, send me a PM and we can discuss how to get one to you.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)