Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
furyan
Accepted Solution

Wirless sys connected, but can't access the internet.

Hello all

I just replaced the hard drive in a T60, installed the factory image and then restored from the latest backup. Now I cannot open any web browsers. The computer indictes that the wirelss is connected, but the wireless indictor isn't blinking so I know it's not really working. It was working perfectly just prior to the restore. I have tried updating the driver, no joy. I turned mac and wep off just to make sure I wasn't missing something, still no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas, apart from a clean install!

Thank you

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 138

Re: Wirless sys connected, but can't access the internet.

Hello,

Have you tried running both Microsoft Windows Update and ThinkVantage System Update to download any device drivers or software that were not restored, and then connecting to the Internet?  Also, does a wired connection work?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
furyan

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I have found the solution. I know it could have been any number of things so I am glad someone was willing to give it  go. I restored the system from the backup again and noticed that there was a message asking for a re-start for some new software, which I thought was strange. It had happened the first time too but I didn't take any notice. This time before I clicked restart now I tried opening a web browser and was able to access the internet. Then I re-started and was no longer able to access the internet. As if what ever program was now running was actually blocking access. Then I remembered I'd uninstalled, re-installed and uninstalled a Norton product just before I made the backup from which I restored the computer. So I checked the registry and noticed that the it was bloated with Norton Keys in with the network adaptors and thought they might be the problem. So I downloaded Norton Uninstallers and that, thankfully, has resolved the issue. Although it seems a little slow. The machine is secoond hand and the ethernet adapter has never worked, so without the wireless I was a bit lost. Although I was able to download the programs on my trusty T41.

Thanks again for being willing to offer some help

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 138

Hello,

I am glad to hear you resolved the problem.  Thank you for posting the solution you found!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество