Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
mss2k2

XP SP3 Issue with Lenovo T61 Laptop-Urgent

Hello
Please help as i do not want to format my Laptop at any cost.

After updating with XP Service Pack3, unbale to boot T61 Laptop and display the follwoing message -

"Stop:c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}  The Procedure Entry Point gdigetbitmapbitssize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll.".

Please note that i cannot even boot in Safe Mode  or in Command Prompt option.
My Laptop O/S is XP Pro.
Please help with solution.
Thanks & Regards
Sam
Mobile:- +968-96108997
802.11n
icantux

Re: XP SP3 Issue with Lenovo T61 Laptop-Urgent

[ Edited ]
Hello,

Welcome to the forums.

The problem you're encountering is a rather strange "bug" as part of SP3, particularly affected were the earlier builds as well as that version which was released for TechNet subscribers, in other words this affected users with SP3 build 3311 or 3244.

The problem occurs when SP3 installation did not successfully overwrite the GDI32.dll module and hence the boot sequence stops when it encounters an older version of the library file, which is not associated with SP3.

There's no reason to panic or to reformat the system. What you must do is to extract the new GDI32.dll from SP3 package and use it to replace the older version residing on your system.

You will find a detailed description of how to accomplish this -- at this website

** EDIT **
BTW, what's not mentioned on that site is how to extract the SP3 .exe for you to get the proper GDI library file.

To extract the SP3 .exe, simply select "run" from the start menu and type:

D:\XPSP3\windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-ENU.exe –x

(substitute the drive letter and directory of where the SP3 .exe resides)

-- This will open a dialogue box asking where you wish to extract the files to, just type in a new directory name and the files will be extracted to that directory. You can then proceed with the rest of the instructions of that web page.

Hope this helps you and others facing this issue.

Regards

Message Edited by icantux on 05-11-2008 04:47 PM
Paper Tape
mss2k2

Hi
Many thanks for the quick reply and here i would like to infor you that I have already tried that option but did not solve the issue.
So, I just reinstall the XP once again withot any deletion or formating and fortunately all my data and settings were intact.
Happy now and quite relaxed!!!!!!!!!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:
Once again, thanking you for the response.
Best Regards
MS
802.11n
icantux

That's another method of fixing it... :smileywink:

Either way, best practice would be to create a separate partition on the HDD and store user data on that partition as opposed to having/using one large partition for all your needs - in case of catastrophic failure. Keeping info organized on a computer is just as important as knowing how to use a computer.

Glad you got your system back up and running.
Paper Tape
mss2k2

Hi
Sincerely thanking you for the your concern towards solving the issues.
Regards
MS