Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
pdean

black tab under cd drive?

A black, triangular tab has popped out from under my cd tray. I can't make it stay back underneath. What does it do, and how do I put it back?

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Re: black tab under cd drive?

pdean, welcome to the forum,

it would be helpful if you could post which ThinkPad you have, even better post the Type and Model Number this will help members to help you. Please do NOT post your s/n.

Also if you could post a link to a photo of the part that popped out, it would also be helpfull.

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
pdean

T61, 6463-5BU -- is that what you requested?

SCSI Port
rgsteele

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you've pressed the switch to remove the CD-ROM drive. It's the little black switch just below the CD-ROM drive on the right. Just press the tab back in and it should click back into place.

If you ever want to remove the CD-ROM drive, press the switch again, then pull on the tab. If you want to prevent the switch from operating, put a screw into the hole below the switch on the underside of the computer (the correct screw should have been supplied with the laptop.)

Hope this helps!

Update: see http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3547_04.pdf#70 for a diagram (page 61)

Update 2: Even better, a movie! http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-63901.html

Blue Screen Again
pdean

rgsteele, I'm pretty sure you're right, but it won't catch when I push it in. It pops right back out, and the text balloon saying "safe to remove hardware" pops up on the screen.

SCSI Port
rgsteele

Make sure something isn't causing the switch to stick open. You might want to try removing and re-inserting the CD-ROM drive. Perhaps try pushing the switch towards the tab while you push the tab back in.

If you're still having trouble, the laptop might need to be serviced.