Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
qwertyu
Accepted Solution

can`t open password tab to set a supervisor password in security menu of BIOS. BIOS freezes

few days ago I bought one Thinkpad T60. All is fully functional excepting of one issue with BIOS password. It seems there is no password set previously since I can entry the BIOS menu and set all particular entries w/o any problem. Hovewer when I come to the point to set a BIOS password, the BIOS freezes suddently. Can anybody know what could be the reason for that? Is there some solution how to fix it? Thanks

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: can`t open password tab to set a supervisor password in security menu of BIOS. BIOS freezes

Sounds like your have a supervisor password set already. You can set a supervisor password and still allow access to the bios by users with options of what settings they can change. If you do have an unknown bios password set, then the only option is to replace or repair the system board. 

If you don't have a password set and you're still having unstability problems like this, then you may have a more serious problem. If the computer works well and exhibits no stabality problems in windows, then you could try reflashing the bios, but be careful, if a system freezes or crashes during the bios flash it will become unusable, but if you're already looking at needing a new system board, then you don't have much to lose. 

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
qwertyu

Re: can`t open password tab to set a supervisor password in security menu of BIOS. BIOS freezes

thanks for the reply. The computer with OS win7 works well without any stability problem. Reflashing the bios was the first thing I did in order to get the most recent bios version. It was successfull, without problem.

Returning back to the problem description in more details. In bios menu I can set everything excepting the password. The security chip and password manager in windows works just well too. However if I choose the password entry in the bios security menu and confirm it by pressing the enter button, the bios freezes everytime. Other entries of bios and also the entries in the bios security menu I can entry and set without any problem. I suspect the computer was somehow hacked. I bought it from ebay and that issue makes me unhappy and I have no trust to work on it regularly.

Thanks for any advises in advance.     

Bit Torrent
TuuS

I guess it's possible that someone improperly removed a supervisor password by reburning the bios chip. If they did damage the chips programming, then the recommended solution would be to replace the system board, but I don't know how to go about confirming this theory.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Community Moderator
richk

I won't discuss how the supervisor password is stored or set, but replacing or reflashing the BIOS chip cannot affect the supervisor password. As stated above, it sounds like you have a supervisor password set.
Paper Tape
qwertyu

Thanks guys for your opinion. If there is a supervisor password set then it is a little strange that I can entry the BIOS like there no password protection at all. 

It seems there is no way to fix it excepting the system board replacement. That option doesn`t make a big sense I think. But anyway... if someone can find other solution to fix that yet.. highly appreciated.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,252
Solutions: 1,342

if you don't believe you have a supervisor password set, then you can try to remove the cmos battery and do a bios reset. This will bring up the supervisor password, which will force you to enter the Supervisor password before proceeding to bootup.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Also just to clarify, reflashing a bios chip won't change the password or remove it, but if the chip is reburnned, which is often done when remanufacturing a board the entire chip's data is replaced. I don't know if this is possible or not, but since you suspected the system was "hacked", it is possible someone improperly reburned the wrong data onto the chip making the supervisor password option non operational. If (and I do stress the "if") this is the problem, then you can get the board repaired. This type of repair is often required if a bios flash is interrupted and the system becomes unusable, and usually costs $100-200. 

Your best option might be to just use the system for what it is, or just replace the system board and be done with it.

Good Luck

Paper Tape
qwertyu

You are right. Removing the CMOS battery even for a couple of hours and reflashing of BIOS didn`t change the situation. These basic tasks I have done just before I posted this tread.

I think we can close it now. Since the system otherwise works well, maybe the best option is to use it just for what it is -- as have been suggested already. Thanks to all for your coments.  

All the best.