Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
adante

enabling both middle-button scrolling AND third-button click

Hi,

I refer to the trackpoint properties in cpanel -> mouse -> ultranav tab -> trackpoint pane -> settings -> choose scrolling or magnifying glass function.

When this is set to scrolling I can hold down the middle button and move the trackpoint to emulate scrolling which is very useful. But I can't middle click.

When I set this to neither obvious I can middle click but I can't scroll.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to enable both of these functionalitites simultaneously?

SCSI Port
lukkbox

Re: enabling both middle-button scrolling AND third-button click

tell me

how would your computer know whether you wanted it to perform a click or a scroll?

thats why there has to be two buttons for two things

incidentally, if you have it set to scrollling, it WILL click on links!

it will also open anew tab for the link, or shut a tab, in firefox, if you click on the tab bar with it

it seems to be a scroller on things that can scroll, and a clicker on things that can click  :smileyhappy:

works for me anyways!

other than that, if you can only handle one mouse button

go buy yourself a mac! ....only joking!

T42 - T21 - Tecra 8200 all xp
Serial Port
adante

lukkbox wrote:

tell me

how would your computer know whether you wanted it to perform a click or a scroll?

thats why there has to be two buttons for two things

incidentally, if you have it set to scrollling, it WILL click on links!

it will also open anew tab for the link, or shut a tab, in firefox, if you click on the tab bar with it

it seems to be a scroller on things that can scroll, and a clicker on things that can click  :smileyhappy:

works for me anyways!

other than that, if you can only handle one mouse button

go buy yourself a mac! ....only joking!

Hi.

To answer your question. When I am middle clicking I am not click-dragging, I am clicking.  When I am scrolling, I am click-dragging.

Having a driver detect whether the cursor had moved between the buttondown and buttonup event, and then generating a 3rd button click if not would pretty much achieve what I want.

The strange thing is you ask me that in a rhetorical fashion, then tell me "thats why there has to be two buttons", then you go on to say that it will click on links, which suggests that infact there doesn't have to be two buttons for two things.

This is not my experience anyway. Are you running any other mouse related software (logitech drivers/setpoint etc)?

SCSI Port
lukkbox

lol, i knew that was coming, **bleep** the english language, in answer to your response, .... no lol

your middle mouse button will act as a clicker if you are above a clickable hypertext link only, this can be annoying when trying to scroll and acccidentally clicking above a link on the page will open a new page instead of scrolling the one your on

also when i try to switch tabs and accidentally hit the middle button, it closes the tab i wanted to view, this is another major flippin annoyance imho, for one thing it clicks, for another thing it closes, no continuity!

your middle mouse button will act as a scroller without holding it down, if depressed above a clear peice of the page with no links beneath the cursor

i see the functionality of it opening links when trying to scroll as a pain, not a bonus, thesed ays pages are peppered with links and trying to find a cleaqr peice of page can sometimes be very hard! lol

if i wanna open a new link, id hit the left mouse  button, not what i consider to be my designated scroll button

im just using the thinkvantage trackpoint software from the ibm page bro

now i think about it...

it shouldnt be too hard for somebody technical to write some software that enables the mouse to detect whether its a short click or a held down long one (more than 25ms?) and then differentiate between the two for two different functions

then wed all be able to use mac mouses :smileyvery-happy:

hope thats clear as mud now matey!  :smileyvery-happy:

SCSI Port
lukkbox

im just using ultranav

i have it set to advanced features and middle button set to scroll

btw my touchpad (is that the name for that rubbish mousemat thing?) is turned off fwiw

any joy yet?

Serial Port
adante

unfortunately no.

It is a real shame lenovo don't liaise with the community regarding things like this. It results in hardware with tremendous potential which is ultimately squandered by shoddy software. If they opened up to developers then they could have sustainable quality software at relatively little cost.

But nevermind, this is their business model. Either they'll come around or be superseded by people who do.

Serial Port
adante

hoooleeeee crap

just realised the middle button scrolling doesn't enable sideways scrolling, how pathetic

What's DOS?
hyetou

[ Edited ]

I have discovered a better solution for this, and it's very simple. A little program called Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel. It's somewhat difficult to find as the original page is down, but you can get it here: http://www.casey-tech.com/2010/03/download-marble-mouse-scroll-wheel-here.html. Just install it and set the scroll button to Middle (Button 3).

This problem has bothered me since I first got my Thinkpad in 2009, and I'm so excited to have found a good solution that I registered for this forum to tell you. This program achieves a scroll very much like the UltraNav's, including the ability to scroll windows that are behind other windows without changing focus, and it allows you to use the middle click as normal   (and allows side scrolling).

The only complaint I have is your mouse has to be very still for it to count as a middle click. I wish there was slightly more leeway, but I can get used to it.

*edit*

I forgot to say, you should uninstall the UltraNav drivers first, this program works with the generic Windows drivers.