Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Hitechrr

how do you update service partition?

i have a t61 with vita home prem. i did service pack 1 and all the t61 updates. how do i update the service partition so if i restore the system, i will install all the updates? the lenovo update were almost a gig. can anyone tell me where the lenove updates get downloaded to?
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: how do you update service partition?

I don't think you can apply updates to the service partition.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Retired Moderator
tfflivemb2

Welcome aboard!

As Carbon Unit stated, you cannot update the Recovery Partition, HOWEVER, you can use Rescue and Recovery to create Recovery Disks of the state that your system is in now...assuming that you haven't already create said Recovery Disks.
T61,T42(x2)T41,T40(x2),R40,T30(x2),T23(x3),T21,T20,X20,A31,A21M,600/E/X(multiples of each),770X,i1400(x2),760XL,760ED(x2 w/base),380XD,755CD,750P,360P,365X,560X,701C/CS,730T,PS/Note
Punch Card
Hitechrr

so you are stating that thre Rescue and Recovery disks will have the updates and service pack on it? i installed all my software and i have a few problems. when i switch users the systme goes into a loop and winlogin fails.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

No, the rescue and recovery discs will essentially be a copy of the restore partition. No updates.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 203
Solutions: 104

Hitechrr wrote:

can anyone tell me where the lenove updates get downloaded to?

I don't have the full explanation handy, but basically they go into the "session" folder for System Update.  On the ThinkPad I'm typing this message on right now, they are in....

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Punch Card
kiano

I  guess this is a better Idea to save your Update patches from ( C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session )
to another External storage (DVD or External HDD ... ) and then you can apply them whenever you might need them in future.

Live Long Lenovo ^^
Retired Moderator
vkyr

Hitechrr wrote:
i have a t61 with vita home prem. i did service pack 1 and all the t61 updates. how do i update the service partition so if i restore the system, i will install all the updates? ...

As other already said above, the service partition remains in it's initial state and doesn't  evolve as your system partition does over the time. Thus what the service partition offers, is more like restoring a virgin system e.g. the state the notebook was when delivered from the factory.

A better strategy for what you might have in mind is, to perform continously/incremental system partition image backups onto some external connected backup-harddisk. Those image backups will then contain the momentary whole actual state of your system (including played in service packs, driver updates etc.) and when in trouble you can restore a much more actual state of what your system contains, without playing again in SPs, updates etc. since those are already inside and part of your backup images.

You can perform such image backups with the help of Rescue and Recovery or some thir party tool like Acronis TrueImage.etc.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II