Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
keyots

my thinkpad t60 won't power on

Just this morning, i was just surfing the internet and listening to music then all of sudden my laptop blackout. Only the battery led has lights on. After that, i removed the battery then reconnect the ac adaptor. All that happen is that the hard drive light and battery light flashes once for a second then nothing happens at all. If the battery is connected, and i connect the adapter, only green battery light flashes constant but it still doesnt turn on.
Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: my thinkpad t60 won't power on

That sounds not good :smileysad:

Olease first of all detach the battery as well as DC-power cord and press the power button for approx. 30 secs.

Then attach the power supply and try to turn on the laptop. Also try annother power supply without batteries.

Annother question:

Did you laptop get contact with liquids in the last months?

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
keyots

I tried static discharge but i still get the same result. :smileysad: no, it did not contact with any liquid. Could it be my mobo is bricked? I haven't tried using other power supply because i dont have a spare one. :smileysad:
Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

Before you declare the board as "bricked" there are a few possibilities we should exclude.

A damaged power supply together with a damaged battery can cause the same symptom - even the powermanager tells a good battery-condition. That's the reason why i sugested a second power supply - test - maybe you know anybody in your office or neighbourhood who knows somebody who has a thinkpad T/R/X60 or younger :smileywink:

Check the USB-ports by view from outside , whether they have no short and damage inside.

Detach all external connected devices, test again. If fail, then remove internal cards (modem, Bluetooth, Wireless lan, one of both  RAMs) CD-ROM, HDD and test again.

A damaged fuse on the system board also can be the source of the issue. Their resistance should be measured. The repair is a bit tricky.

Also pease tell us, which graphics device is built in (Intel, ATI X1300 or 1400).

My ThinkPad-Collection
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Just to point out something, although slang terms don't have any official meaning, the term "bricked" is usually used to refer to a unit that has become about as useful as a "brick", but without an actual part failing. The most common way this happens is a failed bios update, where you end up with a computer that is mechnically and electrically sound, but cannot boot because the very basic software instructions used to tell the machine how to boot is damaged, and the only way to recover is to manually reburn the chip. A board that fails due to hardware failure isn't usually referred to as "bricked", but the end result is a unit as useful as a brick either way.

The advice given so far is very good, not much I can add really, so just confirm you have a known good power supply going into the unit, then remove everything you can, drives, cards, etc, as many times a failed part can prevent boot. You will need at least one good ram chip installed to boot, so if you have two installed, try one of them at a time in each slot. If you have only one ram chip (sodimm), then it would be best to substitute a known working sodimm to make sure that's not the cause. You may find a PC builder that has a ram testing machine where you could simply bring the chip in and ask if they would test it. Many will gladly test your ram for free. 

If you cannot get the unit to post even with all drives/cards removed and known good ram and power supply, then you can safely assume you have a failed system board and proceed accordingly.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Blue Screen Again
keyots

[ Edited ]

the physical appearance of the usb ports seems okay though i'm not really sure if whether they're shorted or has internal damage.

i still haven't tried using another power adapter. i'm still looking for one.

i tried removing some cards, (memory card, HD, touchpad, dvd, biometric) though i haven't pulled out yet the wifi card, keyboard and cmos battery.

if it is the fuse on the systemboard, is it replaceable or i should get a new board?

it has intel core 2 duo processor, graphics card is ati x1400.

Paper Tape
RSchleicher

Re: my thinkpad t60 won't power on

Hi all,

I have this problem too. After this T60 2007 FVG runs some days long I need to shut down because of the noise when someone is sleeping in the room. But it never comes upt again. When it's of but the power supply is connected, there is small lamp gleaming, but when I try to start, the light get off and nothing happend. I went to a pc store and checked another power supply and it's the same and they told me, that it seeam to be the motherboard. Because the notebook is too old to buy and install a new motherboard, may be and I'll try to get a used one and install it by myself.

Where can I find the spare part no for a system board (42W2203/42W2205/42W2207), I think it's 2205, but I'm not shure ... also do I have the right manual (ThinkPad T60 and T60p (15.4-inch widescreen) (MT 6369, 6370, 6371, 6372, 8741, 8742, 8743, and 8744))?

Can you help me?

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Reinhardt

Fanfold Paper
wsx23edc

Hello,

my ThinkPad T60 doesn't power on, too.

It powered off after a little quantity of water dropped on the keyboard.

After that, the green battery light NEVER more turned on, also when I used AC adapter without battery.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Giovanni

Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

There will one ore more fuses on the system board blasted.

Here you will find a T61 board (it is different to T60) , in which area to search for them and how they look. On the system board next to the fuses you'll find a white "Fx" ("x" is a number)

http://thinkwiki.de/T61_Sicherungen

First measure the fuses near the DC-in connector on the system board

My ThinkPad-Collection
Fanfold Paper
wsx23edc

Wonderful !

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Giovanni