after changing the T42 is running again and there are no problems any longer

b.r.

Frank

nts
What's DOS?
nts

Re: only black screen / T42

Thanks,

In response to the "Fan Error" message, is changing the fan on the T42 (outside extended warranty) a major operation or something any computer technician can easily do ... ?

Regards

Punch Card
wearetheborg

I think replacing the fan is relatively simple, you should not have trouble with it.  The hardware manual give detailed instructions.

Just be sure to clean the heatsink of the fan and apply thermal grease.  There are actually videos on youtube on applying thermal grease.

You may need to get a thermal grease+cleaning kit, they are quite inexpensive.

I did it for my T30, it basically involved taking out the RAM/HDD/Battery/Keyboard, then unscrewing the fan, cleaning the cpu heatsink which is in contact with the fan, applying thermal grease on the cpu heatsink, putting new fan back on.

nts
What's DOS?
nts

Thanks!

Where can one buy such a fan (Los Angeles) ... and are they generic or brand specific (in this case IBM Thinkpad T42)

The 2nd problem I was having before this one (!) was the laptop shutting down after being on anytime for 5 to 20 min. Could that have been a precursor to the same problem or rather another separate issue I am going to have deal with as well... ?

Many thanks for all your advice !!!

N.