Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
phife757

"Unknown Device" in Device Manager

I'm running Windows XP Pro on my T60 8744-5BU ThinkPad.  I am getting a yellow question mark "unkown device" in the Device Manager.  I believe I downloaded and install all neccessary drivers, but it is hard to say because there are 95 links under drivers in support.  I tried using Unknown Device Identifier (http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html) but i can't tell which one is the unknown device.  I also tried installing all updates, including optional updates, in Win XP.

Does anyone have any advice on identifing this mystery device?

802.11n
icantux

Re: "Unknown Device" in Device Manager

Hi, Welcome to the forums!

That's a commonly asked question. The issue you're having there most probably deals with the ATMEL chip driver not being installed for the TPM. 

You will find the appropriate driver for your machine type here: Trusted Platform Module driver for XP

- read the instructions at the bottom of the page carefully for proper installation.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Paper Tape
phife757

Steve,

I right clicked the unknown device in the Device Manager and Updated the driver at the ATMEL TRM driver path.  Under system devices in the Device Manager, i have two Atmel TPM entries but now one has a yellow exclamation point next to it.

Also, I now have a "PCI Device" Hardware Wizard at startup. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers it says "PCI Device" with a yellow exclamation point next it it.

What do I do now?

Thanks,

Matt

802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Hi

Regarding the double "TPM" entry, you can delete the one with the exclamation point or install Lenovo's Client Security Solution 8.1 and that will fix that second TPM entry.

Regarding the PCI device, it could be a number of things. Did you install the Storage Matrix driver - I suspect that XP is asking you for the inf files for the Storage Matrix (if you haven't downloaded and installed those, the link provided leads you to the drivers - follow the installation instructions on the screen listed below the driver download section)...  On the other hand, it could relate to the motherboard Intel Chipset Support drivers (again, follow the installation instructions on that driver's download screen). Those two would be the probable causes of the missing "PCI entry".

Otherwise, there are two options and things to keep in mind:

Option 1:

Install Lenovo's System Update utility and let it download and install all the drivers for your system

- you'll need Microsoft's .NET framework 2.0 for System Update to work

- after installing .NET 2.0, you can then install and use ThinkVantage System Update 3.14 and let it install all the software required for your system. You can choose what to install and what not to install, but it will detect what you need to install on the system.

Option 2:

When performing a "clean install" of XP, you should always download the drivers for your system beforehand and then after installing XP, install the drivers for the devices on your computer in the following order - the device drivers for your exact system are all found here: ThinkPad T60 8744-5BU

1) Chipset drivers
2) Intel Storage Matrix
3) ACPI Power Management Driver
4) Video driver
5) hotkey driver
6) ethernet (Intel pro-set)
7) wifi driver
8 ) High definition audio patch Q888111 (depending on whether you're installing SP2 or SP3)
9) audio driver (soundmax)
10) modem driver
11) ATMEL (TPM) driver
12) Trackpoint
13) bluetooth
14) whatever else you need - including all other "KB" and "Q" hotfixes listed for your machine.

Reboot after each step. (no joking! ) 

Hope this helps

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 07-04-2008 02:25 PM
Token Ring
biowizard

I've put up with "Unknown Devices" ever since Win95, and still have a number on my current ThinkPad, HP and S10 machines. This is because I always start out zapping everything on a new computer, and installing a clean new Microsoft Windows version from my MSDN subscriptions.

Right now, my fingerprint reader and Verizon broadband does not function, but because I can type, the former isn't a worry, and because I live in the UK, the latter wouldn't work even with drivers.

So these items (and a few others) are listed either as "Unknown Device" or as things like "Biometric Coprocessor", with yellow or orange warning flags in Device Manager.

But my machines work the way I want, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. The only time to worry about downloading and installing new drivers is when you want a function that you know is physically present in hardware, but doesn't seem to be working.

Or, to put it another way, If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :smileyvery-happy:

Brian

Fanfold Paper
jerrydaughtrey

I had the same problem and used your advise and solved the problem.
Thanks

What's DOS?
HelloMoto

Hi Incantux, I have the same issue with my clean install of XP pro. Can you provide the driver list (like option 2 from your earlier response) for my T60 700WX9 ?

Like everyone else, I have downloaded all the drivers but do not know what is needed or what order to install them. Also, I don't have internet at home. So, option 1 is a great idea if the software can detect everything after a clean install, but no internet "is a bummer" :smileyhappy: Thanks in advance.
What's DOS?
shuttercap

Hi,

I just reinstalled Win 7 x86 on a T61. There is an unknown device, biometric coprocessor, and two base system device drivers with yellow exclaimation mark under other devices in windows device manager. For unknown device, the cure for that is power management driver (gtku09ww). For the biometric coprocessor, use the fingerprint software (g1f714ww). The last 2 base system device, download the windows vista Ricoh multicard reader driver (7kss55ww). extract the file with 7zip or other extracting utility, then run the setup.exe in the extracted folder to finish installing the 2 base system driver. Hope this helps

Shuttercap

Fanfold Paper
smithee68

I have the same issue with Ricoh card reader on Win 7 64-bit.  The Vista 64 bit driver setup did recognize the hardware as the Ricoh card reader, but it's still flagged as a problem in Device Manager.  I uninstalled driver and did a manual updatep pointing to the specific items in the extracted 4in1 folder.  Same issue...it says the driver is unsigned and has it flagged as a driver on all 3 Ricoh devices.

What's DOS?
shuttercap

I installed 32bit win 7 because the older hardware may not be able to support 64bit software. even if you successfully load a 64bit OS, there's no guarantee 64bit software will function properly. the unknown device is only a card reader and not a critical device. you could use an external card reader.