Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
pollack

t61p wont boot, black screen, no beeps.

[ Edited ]

Need to find out where I can send lenovo to get repaired.  Went to lenovo site to find repair center but it came up with an error page.  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/default.page

RelayWare has experienced a problem and is unable to load the page you requested.
If you would like to contact the support team, please send E-Mail to: http://www.pc.ibm.com/partner/contact/

Machine wont boot.  Black screen, z icon and power plug icon only.  Cd spools nothing.  Pulled memory, hard disk, no display.  No beeps.

Prior to dead state machine was running hot, would crash during games, temp was getting hot (91c then shutdown).  Opened up, vacuumed out heat sink.  Installed tpfancontrol. Never had a crash between then and death.  Fans ran ~2600rpm.

type 6459-CTO

s/n * 08/06

Not in warranty.  If I can upgrade it with better replacement parts let me know.  has t9600 cpu, nvidia graphics.

If it's easy to replace MB then I can do that, otherwise I'd prefer to mail it in to a lenovo place.

I don't know what motherboard to get or where to get it from.  I read someone said Lenovo wanted $850 for a replacement MB.  That seems overly expensive.

Thanks!

Moderator edit by bananaman: Masked serial number to prevent misuse.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: t61p wont boot, black screen, no beeps.

You would probably need a new mmotherboard, Lenovo depot will probably charge in excess of 500 usd for repairing this problem without warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
pollack

How do I even contact support?

Do you have any advice as to how I can find out which motherboard I had?

Any locations to buy used online?

I searched and read for hours what I could but cannot find a decoder of my laptop model to the exact replacement board online.  For instance, 44C3928, PLANAR NVIDIA GS W/AMT .  Don't know what that means.

I like to know what I have.  Seems like online mobos are $359. If I went that route I'd want the high end nvidia that I had and the high end display.  Both required for what I use it for.

It's a nice little laptop that I'd like not to toss, because getting a laptop which does > 1920x1080 is expensive.

Already took it apart a couple times.  Much easier than my Toshiba Satellite.

Thanks.
Sean

Paper Tape
likemeng

They will charge at least 400 for it.

lead_org

you would need a new motherboard with the updated GPU, which is not readily available on the market.

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
pollack

[ Edited ]

I still need help determining what the id is of the motherboard.  It seems like there are replacement motherboards available online.  I just need to specify the proper id to ge the right one.  When I opened the laptop the space where the FRU label goes is empty.  There is nothing there.  I have my longer serial number which was listed below it, followed by the mac address.

t61p type 6459-cto, serial XXXXXX

15.4" 1920x widescreen

t9600 cpus I believe...

I see other people on the list being provided help for a similar system but I don't know if it applies to my serial.  I understand there are some issues with the graphics, so if there is an old and new mobo fru I'd appreciate it.  At least I have some options.

Thanks.

Moderator Note: Serial number removed to prevent misuse.

lead_org

the free repair for the nvidia gpu issue has already ended on the 31st March 2011.

i tried to look up your parts, but the there is some glitch in Lenovo's system and is preventing to check the system. (i will get a follow up for you if i can).

However, for future purposes don't post your serial number of the laptop on the net.

Cheers
Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
pollack

I still haven't fixed my poor laptop.

I'd like to fix it and was curious if there has been any updated information on the process I'd follow.  Is there any new information on this?

I figured out that it's a 44c3931 because it was written inside the battery compartment.

I mentioned that shortly before the computer died it was running hot.  When I turn it on now I don't get beeps and the only sound it makes is trying to boot the dvd player.  Is it possible the computer wont progress because the fans wont spin?

Can just the graphics card be replaced rather than the whole motherboard? 

I'm sure the fans are dusty and will clean them with whatever repair I need to do...but was wondering if maybe I just need to clean the fans to get this working again?

Originally I thought because it was having heat issues that the graphics got burned out.

If there is a guide or something I can follow to get this working, I'd appreciate it.  I couldn't get the parts link to work either when I retried it just now. 6459-cto...

Thanks!

Bit Torrent
TuuS

[ Edited ]

pollack wrote:

Can just the graphics card be replaced rather than the whole motherboard? 

The simple answer is No, the motherboard needs to be replaced. A more percise answer is with a machine that cost as much as some new cars, you can replace the graphics processor on the board, but doing so isn't a simple thing.

If anyone is curous about how this is done, you can watch the proceedure being done here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MAFWuB12F6Y

That's kinda a cheezy commercial but it shows the board being heated and the GPU removed and resoldered, however this won't fix the chip, you'd need a new chip, unlike other conditons where it's only cracked solder connections that need to be fixed, these chips are actually failing internally.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
lead_org

[ Edited ]

Here is the procedure for replacing the faulty nvidia GPU on the T61p (note the instruction is in chinese, so you may need google translate or bing).

http://www.51nb.com/viewnews-68528.html

There are cheap Infra red reheat station that costs 300 to 500 dollars (and there are 30000 dollars one that optically track the reheating process and temperature gradients). 

But the problem with this replacement, is the lack of Nvidia GPU that has the revised bump material. 

Regards,

Jin Li