Lenovo Think > Innovate > Evolve
Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276

From slate to notebook to desktop - what if the computing core could be swapped between shells?

What do you think of the idea of having interchangeable ‘insides’ for your ThinkPad or ThinkCentre?

Instead of choosing a set machine, you choose the core technology, memory and storage, and then slide a modular device into different-sized outsides depending on the task, like a 5" slate, a 10" Pad, a 12" convertible tablet, or a 14" standard notebook PC.

Would you use this sort of technology? 

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203

Re: From slate to notebook to desktop - what if the computing core could be swapped between shells?

[ Edited ]

a modular motherboard that is interchangeable between machines of different format? I like the idea of that. But what sort of target market, demand and cost would you expect from implementing this? I think as an idea for a product there is no beating it, but Lenovo probably have figure out how to execute it in a cost effective manner and how you are going to market this new 'novel' product idea to the target market.

Lenovo in Australia certainly is not doing enough marketing, the Lenovo Australia Twitter account that promotes e-coupons and specials have not had any tweets since end of last year, and i am not sure why this is the case. But there are plenty of tweets on the Lenovo Aus Job twitter account. While, most of the Dell Twitter account get more regular tweets, especially the one on ideastorm or something.

using this as an example, why Lenovo don't offer screen that has a mount to integrate the laptop into it... 

P.S. what is the ultimate goal of having the interchangeable innards? is it convenience, data security, lower product costs, system manageability within the organisation or the green factor?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mark_Lenovo

Re: From slate to notebook to desktop - what if the computing core could be swapped between shells?

[ Edited ]

Lead_Org,

Thanks for the follow on questions.   With regard to your comparative photo above, I think that was aimed at being more of a desktop space saving design, and I believe we have done some similar things previously.  But this seems more an effort toward an all in one design.  As you may recall we previously had the ThinkCentre X40 and X41 which were our first true all in one systems.  I still have a couple of the X40's with their optional mounting arms that allowed them to float above the desk - super cool idea that was way ahead of it's time.

Now, with the advances in technology, we are seeing much larger LCDs on all in one factor desktops, and even touch technology like on our new M90z.

410i23C5674FAE5A56DE 

I'd like to see us continue to innovate in this direction, rather than finding ways to simply mount all the stuff together as in the example above.    As to why having  a core that could easily be exchanged between shells would valuable in the market, I think that's one of the things that will come out of this conversation as it develops.   I'm looking forward to Matt Kohut and other Lenovo subject matter experts joining in, and the content on our Think Innovation site will definitely help define the context.

Thanks for the feedback on Lenovo twitter chatter in Australia - we definitely need to keep all our channels relevant and up to date.  I'll share with the appropriate teams.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203

[ Edited ]

i can imagine something like the modularised rack server been shrunk to form the computing core that you are talking about. 

you know how the old Advanced Dock got a PCI-express slot for an extra graphics card. Why not produce a laptop dock that can accommodate these proprietary self contained slates, which has an extra CPU and/or GPU or two that can give the docked laptop extra processing power. The laptop could also have this new slate bay (much like the ultrabay) to allow for seamless processing power upgrade without having to get a new laptop (Some people can't decide on what sort of laptop they need, ideally they would like a W510 or W701 for the CPU and GPU processing power, but prefer the T410 due to the smaller size).

Furthermore, some people may choose to use a X20x laptop on the move, but there is no reason why they can't have the X20x with W7xx laptop processing power when they are docked. <---------- i think there is a market need for this sort of device. 

You could also promote the green factor with this slate upgrade, since you could cut down on the amount of e-waste. 

You could also design the thinkcentres to have couple of these new proprietary slate slots, so that the organisation could easily increase their computing CPU and GPU graphical processing power needs on a short notice, and then dismantle it when it is no longer needed.

Most importantly, since this new slate would have a proprietary format (with the right patents), Lenovo would still generate a healthy profit from it and dominate the laptop market. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Mark_Lenovo

lead_org,

Ah, that's an interesting idea!  Kinda like the U1 concept of the slate that when docked in the clamshell gains a keyboard and more CPU power.  Cool!

Mark

Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

KalvinKlein

X61 connection to battery lost

goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 326

Hello,

As someone who regularly moves between a desktop, multiple notebooks and a netbook computer, the idea of having a "personality core" which contained the underlying operating system and data as well as some basic CPU and GPU functionality is very interesting to me.  Right now, I work largely by synchronizing the data volumes between respective and an external drive for backups, but the idea of having a core that can be adapted to various form factors depending upon what sort of processing power or graphics output I need sounds like it would greatly simplify work.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
HDMI
joer80

[ Edited ]

If the hardware is small enough to work in a small slate, its going to limit the speed of the machine for other purposes.  With the cloud storing more and more data, such as docs and email, I think the problem is fixing itself.

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
HDMI
joer80

I would rather see a portable mifi device the size of a cell phone, with an onboard SSD drive and no mother board.  (Think 2 of those new toshiba ones used in the air.)  

The devices sole purpuse would be to act as a wireless access point using your cellular provider, and SSD file storage.  Low power consumption, no moving parts, etc.

Then purchase a machine with no hard drive or internet connection,  that does nothing but look for local hard drives to connect to.

Every machine would be designed to cool the hardware it contains, and you would lose nothing if it goes down.  You wouldnt even need to remember your wifi password.

You could doc your device at work, and at night to charge it, and it would replicate itself to the cloud in case your house burned down or your SSD failed.

Wireless file and internet transfer would be best, but if the tech is not there yet,  just leave internet wireless, and put a usb3 or esata port on the thing so you could boot from it with a dock or 1 wire.  All other ports would be on the other machine. 

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
There's more thinking in Think-branded products.