Lenovo Think > Innovate > Evolve
Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
joer80

Modular laptops

I know there is a place for the tiny thin machines that are disposable, but I would link to see thinkpads with very easy to interchange parts that are completely modular.

Screen backlight go out?  Want to upgrade screen quality?  Use a key to unlock your current one, and add another.   Want high end internal speakers?  Just snap more in!

This could offer lower cost of entry, savings on warrantee support and service, and the ability for customers to justify larger purchases, knowing they will get more life out of them, while their investment adapts to their changing needs.

Maybe you could make the laptop split in half with a key, to give access to the internals, like the speakers, the monitor release button, cpu, etc.   The bottom half of the machine could have a non removable motherboard, so the user doesn't have to mount or unmount it.

The pro DSLR community is fine with having a nice, expensive titanium camera body, and the option to add on more expensive and versatile lenses as needed.   Works out pretty good.

I would recommend you sell a thin and light body with one exhaust fan, and also a performance body, with 2 exhaust fans, that is a bit thicker.

Any thoughts?

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249

Re: Modular laptops

this probably is a good idea, but i would imagine if the whole laptop is only secured by one key lock mechanisms, then the systems wouldn't be all that strong.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
HDMI
joer80

[ Edited ]

One key would definitely need to do a lot of latching to keep the top secure to the bottom, unless you could do a low profile henge systen....   but with a strong frame material like the one used in the T series, I would imagine it would be plenty strong from top down pressure.

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Paper Tape
vēer

Good idea indeed, and one key isnt a problem as long as you have more latches/lock and key being only master lock to avoid accidentaly/unauthorized dissembly.

HDMI
joer80

good point.  one key can turn more than one latch also.

802.11n
lukaszsw

1. Seems to me most things are already modular in computers - memory, hard drive,  keyboard, power adapter.

You mentioned screen that is actually replaceable, just not by user (not CRU - Customer Replaceable Unit).

So are you proposing that these parts should be  more easily replaceable so to save on IT costs?

2. Most users need a faster machine and for that you need a replaceable motherboard as processors usually don't fit between generations. Graphics should be replaceable as well - perhaps a second ultrabay near the fan? As for other parts - they can already be replaced at service desk and it will usually cost less than a new machine

--
W510 Q820M,FX 880M, 12gb RAM, Win7
HDMI
joer80

The users would have the key, and could snap in any part they want.   Even if it means adding speakers that are better.

There's more thinking in Think-branded products.