Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
farfadet

ATI GPU doesn't work on E520

Hi,

I just bought an edge E520. OS win7, switchable graphics between INTEL and ATI Radeon HD6630M. I tried some 3D applications and have terrible performances. It looks as if no app is triggering the switch to the ATI GPU. Here is what I did up to now :

- check BIOS : on "switchable graphics". Doesn't allow "discrete graphics" on this BIOS.

- set power to maximum performances in both power modes (battery/sector)

- checked pilot updates (latest version)

- tried various settings in Catalyst

- run the Thinkvantage toolbox diagnostic for the ATI card (passed)

- of course, set all applications to "high performance" in Catalyst - switchable graphics

- did this with external monitor connected and disconnected (I have a 1280*1024 external monitor connected tot the VGA port)

Tested with following software :

- openGL extension viewer (detects only the intel card)

- Video card stability test

- 3Dmark 11

- minecraft (both minecraft and JAVA on high performance graphics).

Each time I get real bad frame rates (5 - 20 fps depending on the app). Definitively not the ATI GPU at work!

Device manager / display settings only shows the INTEL card with an ATI driver ver. 8.811.1.5000. This seems OK since the ATI driver is supposed to drive both the intel and ATI cards. However, I read in this formum that when the ATI GPU is active, I should get each screen twice in the display settings window, so that settings can be defined for both cards (in my case, I should get 4 screens since I use 2 monitors). Never saw that.

Thinkvantage toolbox : ran the diagnostics for the INTEL and ATI card. Both tests passed, but strangely, I get a rather long visual test with the Intel card, and nothing visual on the ATI (duration a few milliseconds).

So here I stand, with a laptop I am supposed to use for 3D development, and no usable (decent) GPU.

A few questions :

- Is there a way to force discrete graphics on the E520 ?

- Is there a way to see when the ATI card is working ?

And of course, any suggestion to solve my little problems are welcome (though I'd like to avoid reinstalling the system).

Paper Tape
jensenks

Re: ATI GPU doesn't work on E520

I have these issues with my E420s as well. 

Paper Tape
elmon8

Hi,

I've got exactly the same issues as you wrote. I've got also the Intel 3000HD and Radeon HD6630M configuration.

The funny thing is: it worked. Once!

At my first try I could switch the grafics to the ATI card. But the day after - without doing updates or anything like that - it doesn't work anymore.

I tried 3DMark2011 and the free game "Cube 2 Sauberbraten". Sauerbraten shows at startup the used vga adapter and - no matter wich configuration I use - it is always Intel.

As I said, at the first try the game ran with ATI, but only once.

Hope Lenovo soon reacts on this topic.

Best, Thomas
Guru
ColonelONeill

Not sure if the "muxless" ATI/Intel hybrid still works the same way, but does right-clicking the Power Manager's battery meter still show you the "Switchable Graphics" entry?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
farfadet

Hi,

Thomas, when did you buy your laptop ? I seached internet for this problem, and it looks as if the E420/E520 are quite new out there. Nothing...  I did find a few topics on this subject for other Lenovo and other brands laptops.

From what I gathered, the switchable graphics should be managed from the battery icon in the toolbar. Right-clicking should bring up a "switchable graphics" line in the menu that lets you choose between the two modes. I don't have it. The only place where switchable graphics is mentionned is in ATI Catalyst Control Center, and it only lets you choose the mode for each application. I couldn't find out if the problem was in Windows, in Lenovo's software, or in ATI's drivers, and I don't want to start messing up my system right from the beginning by installing weird pilots. Do you guys have a "switchable graphics" menu somewhere ?

Cheers,

Hervé

Paper Tape
jensenks

farfadet wrote:

Hi,

Thomas, when did you buy your laptop ? I seached internet for this problem, and it looks as if the E420/E520 are quite new out there. Nothing...  I did find a few topics on this subject for other Lenovo and other brands laptops.

From what I gathered, the switchable graphics should be managed from the battery icon in the toolbar. Right-clicking should bring up a "switchable graphics" line in the menu that lets you choose between the two modes. I don't have it. The only place where switchable graphics is mentionned is in ATI Catalyst Control Center, and it only lets you choose the mode for each application. I couldn't find out if the problem was in Windows, in Lenovo's software, or in ATI's drivers, and I don't want to start messing up my system right from the beginning by installing weird pilots. Do you guys have a "switchable graphics" menu somewhere ?

Cheers,

Hervé

Everything here is exactly like you described.

Paper Tape
elmon8

In Germany (I think in whole Europe - or even global) the E-Series of the TP Edge is rather new. The older ones are called 13 and 15.

I've got mine for a week now.

Seems that we nearly did the same. I also searched the web but didn't find anything really helpful. I added a topic in the german thinkpad forum. Without success - til now. I just wanted to start a topic here as I saw yours. And I was happy that I'm not alone :smileyhappy:

the right click on the energy-manager battery doesn't let me set the vga adapter. Also within the Bios I can't set the ATI card as default.

I also tried to update the ATI driver but ATI didn't let me do it out of the box and - as you said - I don't want to risk to ruin my brand new OS installation.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Tried installing these drivers?
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-77300
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
farfadet

ColonelONeill wrote:
Tried installing these drivers?
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-77300
Those drivers are the drivers installed on the machine. Will reinstalling them solve the problem ?
Fanfold Paper
farfadet

I reinstalled the drivers, it's exactly as before. I'm contacting LENOVE support.