Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
vonnii
Accepted Solution

Cannot connect to internet due to missing wireless radio button

I'm using a Thinkpad Edge 11 and I just updated the BIOS utility (don't even know why i did that in the first place) using this link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014926#version 

I checked the BIOs version and it matches to my laptop (86ET31WW (1.15)) 

However now I cannot connect to the internet. I've tried troubleshooting my wireless connections and it tells me to switch on my 'wireless capability' on my laptop. I'm assuming that it's referring to a switch that can turn my wireless on and off but the laptop model that i have don't have that button at all. 

I've installed the access connections program, but it also tells me to switch on a button on my laptop. 

I've already checked my BIOS setup and the wireless shows that it's enabled there. 

I have a feeling that I might have downloaded the wrong BIOS update but i don't know how to uninstall or undo it. Could someone please refer me to another BIOS update that i should use ? or any other method so i can turn my internet connection back on??? I am very inexperienced with computers... any help would be appreciated. 

here are some additional information that might help about my laptop: 

windows 7 professional 64 bit 

Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN 

thanks in advance. 

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Cannot connect to internet due to missing wireless radio button

Hello and welcome,

What happens when you press F9 (with windows running)?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Paper Tape
vonnii

Hi. 

When i press F9, a black box comes up, looks really similar to the access communications one. there's 2 tabs that says 'location profile' and 'wireless radio'. 

it lists that the hardware wireless radio switch - status is OFF and it's asking me to turn on the hardware wireless radio switch. 

Von. 

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

So, the popup window doesn't look like the one in this KB?

Is there a wifi switch on Thinkpad E420 or E520 Edge?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
Tancha

Hi, 

I have absolutely the same problem. I have Lenovo Think Pad edge 11, 2545-3PG

And pop-up window looks different,

it just shows me that I have to turn ON wifi radio. 

and while trying to connect to internet it says that "'wireless capability" is disabled...

Wifi is ON in Bios 

I tried to reinstall different drivers for Wifi, but it didn't help..