Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
gabih

Computer plugged in, not charging. (Edge E425)

Hiya.

A few days ago I arrived home from a two month long trip. Right before the trip, I discharged my battery to about 40% and took it out of the laptop for storage. (I left it in a cool and dry place.) When I came back I replaced the battery and booted up my laptop with the charger plugged in. 

The Lenovo battery icon did not show charging occuring, just that the battery was at 33%, and when I moused over the taskbar icon the error message was "A battery error has occured. The battery cannot be recharged. Replace the battery." 

When I mouse over the Windows one, it says "plugged in, not charging" 

If I unplug the charger, the laptop immediately blacks out. 

I've tried shutting down the laptop, removing the battery, and rebooting. I've tried uninstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver and re-installing. What else should I try?

I've had the laptop for less than a year, and it went in to get a motherboard replacement around 3 months ago, and it doesn't seem like it would be a BIOS problem. (Or would it be?)

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Ron_9972
Topics: 18
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 37

Re: Computer plugged in, not charging. (Edge E425)

[ Edited ]

Hi gabih,

Could you try updating your Power Manager from this page?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073273

Also reset the battery gauge by following the steps in this Knowledge Base article:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-Knowledge-Base/How-to-perform-a-battery-gauge-reset/ta-p/...

One other thing would be to turn it off, remove the battery and AC adapter, press & hold the power button for 30 seconds or so and reinsert the battery and try to restart. (This clears the internal power supply.)

You may need to run a BIOS update, but before we do that, can you post your battery FRU (part) number.  It should be located on the battery.

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!

Paper Tape
gabih

Thanks for the advice, but nothing worked.
I updated the Power Manager and rebooted with the 30 second power-button hold thing to no success.
When I try to reset the battery gauge, nothing happens since the battery can't charge/discharge.

My FRU number is LNV-42T4710.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

gabih,

This sounds like the protection circuit in the battery has tripped for some reason, electrically disconnecting the battery from the system.   Let's try to confirm...

Open power manager and click to the battery tab.  If the battery is greyed out or has an X on it, then the protection circuit is tripped and the battery will need to be replaced.

We have provided some battery firmware updates that are delivered along with BIOS for other models (see this tip as an example) but I don't see one listed for the E425.    

As your system is fairly new, I would would contact support for replacement of your battery.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
gabih

The battery isn't greyed out or X-ed. 

Under battery details it says status: no activity. But the computer can detect whether the battery is inserted or not, as well as figure out how much charge there is. 

If there isn't any solution, I can replace the battery, but I don't believe it's covered under warranty. 

Ron_9972
Topics: 18
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 37

There should be a one year warranty on the battery.

Did you find a post awesome? A great response? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a 'thank you' for helping you out!