Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
efege

Confused about E30 vs Edge 13

[ Edited ]

Hi! I need some help to decide whether I'm doing a good purchase or not.

I've been considering the ThinkPad Edge 13 as a replacement for my current netbook (Asus Eee 1000H, Atom 1.6/1GB/80GB). Lenovo Argentina is offering these two models:

- AMD (0197-2HY)

- Intel (0196-2BY)

You can see the associated data here:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ar/notebooks/thinkpad/edge/amd.shtml  

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ar/notebooks/thinkpad/edge/intel.shtml

A store is offering something imprecisely called "THINKP.EDGEA13" at a notably reduced price:

http://www.fravega.com.ar/productos/ver/361400

(Price in Argentine pesos!). The specs are similar to those of the 0196-2BY model, only with 2GB RAM instead of 3GB, and a cheaper Windows version -- which I don't care about since I'll be using Linux. I've personally checked the machine's product number, and it is 0196A13 (note the "A13" from above). But when searching that product number on Lenovo's support website, there are no results! As if this was a ghost model or something...

I called the support office at Lenovo Argentina, and they tell me that 0196A13 is an "E30". Ok, I Google "E30" and it seems to be something similar to the Edge 13... but there's few or null quality information about it.

So, what I'd like to know is:

- What's the relationship between Edge 13 and E30? Is the E30 maybe some kind of "second rate" Edge 13? Or is it just the name given to the same machine in a different market? (many web pages about the E30 are in Chinese)

- Should I accept the deal, given that this 0196A13 E30 would cost me about only 60% of the 0196-2BY Edge 13? (To me the 2GB seem OK now; not sure if the memory is upgradable though)

- Should I worry about the number "0196A13" being kind of lost in Lenovo's database?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S.: If you consider that this question belongs to a more general forum, please tell me so.

Blue Screen Again
efege

Re: Confused about E30 vs Edge 13

Sorry to insist...

The model that I'm being offered at an attractive price has the product no. 0196A13, but there's no such number in Lenovo's Support and Downloads website:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=0196A13

How should I interpret this? What if I want to download bios upgrades, drivers and such? Is this a normal situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi efege, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

It's normal that not EVERY model shows on the the support site.

Edge 13 and E30 are different names for the same family of products in different markets.

The support information, drivers, documentation, etc. are shared.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Blue Screen Again
efege

[ Edited ]

Thanks bananaman.

Unfortunately, the fact that some models can't be found on the publicly accessible support site means that it's difficult for a potential customer to check the precise specifications of a given model. In the particular case that I mentioned above (0196A13), there's a spec that the store "hides" from its description of the product: the battery is only 4 cell (ThinkPad Battery 73). I found it the hard way: after buying the item. Of course, they had told me that the battery was 6 cell, and I sort of wanted to believe them... That's not a fair practice, and I'll have to complain.

So let me state it clearly again for those who may be interested: the ThinkPad Edge 13 that Fravega is selling in Argentina in October 2010 (product number 0196A13) has a 4 cell battery.

Edit (oct. 7): Also, this model does not have Bluetooth, contrary to what is advertised on Fravega's website.

Blue Screen Again
sochan

hi, I hava a similar problem, because the machine hava 4 cells battery and fravega´s say 6 cells, i want to know how you proceed? did you return the machine? thanks

Blue Screen Again
billy76

[ Edited ]

Hola yo tambien soy de argentina y me la dieron en fravega con 4 celdas, reclamaste en algun lado para que te la cambien por 6 celdas, a mi el vendedor me dijo 6 celdas tambien y ahora me encuentro con tu post.

suerte.

christian

Translation using Google Translate:

Hi I'm from Argentina and also given to me in Fravega with 4 cells, claims somewhere for you to change it for 6 cells, the salesman told me my 6-cell too and now I find your post.

luck.

christian

What's DOS?
m_geler

Concerning bluetooth support. I have just bought the Edge A13 at Fravega and, at least in my case, it came with Bluetooth. Just make sure you enable it through the radio key (F9), to allow windows 7 to recognize the module and install the drivers (you won´t see it listed in device admin HW list before this first activation).

Unfortunatelly not as lucky with the battery. 4 cells as you found.

Martin